Player watch: Yanic Wildschut takes a step forward as a Norwich City player with fine strike in 1-0 win at Sheffield United
- Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images Ltd
This afternoon’s player watch followed the fortunes of goal-scorer Yanic Wildschut as Norwich City won 1-0 at Sheffield United, securing their first away win under head coach Daniel Farke.
11 – Tries to get past Enda Stevens on halfway but is tackled easily.
19 – Cameron Jerome robs a sleeping Harry Wright and Wildschut pushes forward and tries to shoot but sees his effort blocked for a throw by Jack O’Connell.
20 – Lovely turn inside David Brooks on the edge of the area but crowded out, eventually leading to City winning a corner.
You may also want to watch:
23 – GOAL – Dutchman is slipped into the right channel by James Maddison, stands up O’Connell and blasts a low shot into the bottom-left corner for 1-0.
27 – Again found on the right by Maddison, bundles his way past Stevens and almost past O’Connell but is crowded out in the box, chases down but fouls Paul Coutts trying to win back possession.
- 1 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 2 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 5 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 6 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 7 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 9 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 10 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
37 – Alex Tettey sets Wildschut away on the right as a counter-attack forms but the winger is robbed easily by John Fleck in his own half and is grateful to see the Blades have a succession of shots blocked.
41 – Tracks the run of Stevens well to clear a through-ball from Fleck which looked very dangerous.
45 – Concedes a foul to the left of City’s box but is relieved to see the free-kick headed clear.
51 – Ivo Pinto plays Wildschut down the right but O’Connell nips in to put the ball out for a throw.
55- Bursts through the middle and unleashes a low shot on his left foot from 25 yards but Jake Wright blocks the effort.
63 – Tracks back with Tettey but doesn’t stop Fleck’s cross from the left coming into the box as he starts to look tired, although cross comes to nothing.
65 – Taken out by Fleck on the right, heavy tackle, the United midfielder is booked.
78 – Replaced by Marley Watkins.
Verdict: Not a vintage performance but a step forward as a City player for the big man, finishing superbly to earn the win and working hard until he understandably tired in the second half.
Rating: 7.5 out of 10