Plenty to play for as Norwich City defend unbeaten pre-season record against Brighton with Championship kick-off looming
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Finishing pre-season unbeaten will be Norwich City’s target when Premier League new boys Brighton come to Carrow Road tomorrow.
That is the hope of talented midfield youngster James Maddison, who looks likely to play a key role against the Seagulls in City’s final friendly ahead of the Championship kick-off.
Norwich boss Daniel Farke is putting the final touches to his preparations for the opening-day trip to Fulham on August 5 but Chris Hughton’s team have games against Genoa and Atletico Madrid still to come before their top-flight opener at home to Manchester City on August 12.
“The season seems so close now, Fulham is going to be a tough test but one more game to go,” Maddison said. “I’m glad it’s at Carrow Road, hopefully there will be a good turnout, a good performance from the boys and hopefully we can have an unbeaten pre-season.
“It will be a step up in class again, obviously it will be the last pre-season game, it will be a tough test for us, Premier League opposition, but I’m looking forward to it and hopefully there’s some more minutes on the pitch.”
You may also want to watch:
The Canaries have won six and drawn one of their seven warm-up games, following Tuesday’s 2-0 win at League One side Charlton thanks to goals from Yanic Wildschut and Steven Naismith.
With Wes Hoolahan struggling for full fitness and Alex Pritchard injuring ankle ligaments it has allowed 20-year-old playmaker Maddison to play a pivotal part in Farke’s preparations.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
- 2 Get behind McGovern urges Farke
- 3 STARTING XIs: Three changes and very young bench for injury-hit City against Coventry
- 4 Matchday Recap: City top and unbeaten in 10 after draw with Coventry
- 5 Late heartbreak for injury-plagued City as Biamou's late strike rescues a point for Coventry
- 6 Paddy's Pointers: Canaries 1-1 Coventry City
- 7 Aarons suffers shin injury
- 8 'Frustrating' - City fans dejected after injury crisis worsens during Coventry draw
- 9 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 10 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Sky Blues
“You just want minutes on the pitch and pre-season is obviously a good opportunity for me and other young lads to go and showcase what we can do and what we can give to the squad,” he continued.
“Obviously with the new boss in everyone’s got a fresh slate and hopefully I’ve impressed and I’ll continue to do that and I’ll keep working hard to force my way in.”
Maddison added: “There’s a really good atmosphere in the camp, there’s a lot of new players but we all get on well.
“We spent a bit of time away in Ireland and then in Germany and that gives you time to get to know the new players and the new staff and everyone’s taken to it really well. There’s a really good feel to the group at the moment on the pitch and off the pitch so that can only be a positive.”
• For Norwich City news and views in your Facebook timeline, give The Pink Un a like