Poster boy Maddison will be kept grounded by his Norwich team-mates
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
James Maddison is becoming the face of the new Norwich City – but his team-mates are happy to help keep his feet on the floor.
The talented midfielder scored superb goals in both of City’s last two games and has subsequently won the Sky Bet Championship Goal of the Month award for September.
His long-range strike in a 1-0 win at Middlesbrough sealed the award, but his superb free-kick in a 2-1 win at Reading wasn’t far behind.
“Yeah he deserves it, I don’t like to say it to his face but he’s been very good,” Canaries left-back James Husband said with a smile. “He’s one of the boys that has seriously impressed me.
“He’s only a young boy and as long as he keeps his feet on the ground, he can be a serious footballer – we try to help as much as we can with keeping his feet on the floor but you know how he is…it’s more hard work getting his feet on the ground than anything!
You may also want to watch:
“The boy has got some serious talent and I can’t really applaud him enough, over the last month he has been influentially massive for us. He’s scored some great goals and his work rate has been tremendous as well. People see his goals but he’s also worked very hard for us.”
City boss was also happy to keep the praise heading in Maddison’s direction, having also been nominated for the Championship Player of the Month award – but not too much praise.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 7 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 8 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 9 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
- 10 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
“First of all congratulations for goal of the month, not too bad, goal of the year would be better!” the German joked.
“A bit like manager of the month, the manager of the year is better. Or the goal of the month in May would be better because normally that is a determining goal and I don’t go too deep with the goal of the month in September.
“So I like all of our goals, from two metres I think it is a wonderful goal, but he deserves it because it was a really brilliant goal and he deserved it, especially because his working attitude is great.
“James is a sign of our way really, he’s still a young guy with plenty of years and last season I don’t think he had one appearance in the starting line-up and he grows with such a good working attitude and a lot of ability.
“We spoke about this topic during pre-season, on the one hand he needs some trust but it is up to him to go through the door.”