Praise as McDonald nets for Gillingham
City striker Cody McDonald earned praise after scoring his fourth goal of the season for Gillingham – though it was not enough to beat Torquay.
McDonald, on a season-long loan at Priestfield Stadium, converted Danny Spiller’s cross 10 minutes from time to put the Gills ahead, only for them to concede what assistant boss Ian Hendon labelled a “comical” equaliser with the last kick of the game.
“It was a great goal from Cody,” said Hendon. “That was fit to win any game of football, he’s taken it well and I feel for him. We seem to be giving goals away at the moment and we are having to work hard to get ours.
“We got our noses in front and it should have stayed that way. It’s a bitter pill to swallow.”
An injury-time free-kick from Kevin Nicholson cancelled out McDonald’s goal as the ball went in under ’keeper Alan Julian.
You may also want to watch:
City defender George Francomb, on loan at Barnet, set up their winning goal for Mark Byrne as they enjoyed a much-needed 1-0 home win over Macclesfield in League Two.
City midfielder Owain Tudur Jones was in the Yeovil side beaten 2-0 at League One leaders Brighton.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 8 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 9 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 10 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement