New boys get to know their City team-mates as pre-season begins
- Credit: Norwich City FC
Norwich City’s raft of new signings have started getting to know their team-mates at Colney, as pre-season training moves up a gear ahead of the Championship season.
Canaries players started returning to the Lotus Training Centre for testing on Monday and are now out on the pitches as they step up fitness and ball work.
There was only a three-week break for the City players as the elongated Premier League season concluded on Sunday, July 26 following the enforced three-month break due to the coronavirus pandemic.
That was a 5-0 defeat away to Manchester City for Daniel Farke’s already relegated squad and no time has been wasted in refreshing the squad for a new challenge.
Nine players have arrived so far, including Luxembourg forward Danel Sinani, whose free transfer had been announced back in April, and the recent loan additions of Tottenham midfielder Oliver Skipp and Villarreal left-back Xavi Quintilla.
Polish winger Przemyslaw Placheta, Danish midfielder Jacob Sorensen, England Under-21 playmaker Kieran Dowell and young right-back Bali Mumba have all been permanent additions, while midfielder Matthew Dennis and Sebastian Soto have been added to the under-23 ranks initially after their contracts with Arsenal and Hannover respectively came to an end.
You may also want to watch:
They are also joined by January signings Sam McCallum and Melvin Sitti - but as of yet there have been few major exits, although Louis Thompson and Philip Heise going out on loan again on Tuesday.
All of Farke’s players appear to be present in images put out by the club, apart from Moritz Leitner, Tom Trybull and Josip Drmic. All three are thought to have been told to look for new clubs as part of the rebuild and Leitner has published videos of him training alone on social media.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 3 "He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed with Norwich
- 4 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 5 City keeper issues injury update
- 6 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 7 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 10 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
Players linked with big-money moves back to the top flight - Max Aarons, Emi Buendia, Ben Godfrey, Todd Cantwell and Jamal Lewis - were all pictured in training.
City’s pre-season schedule is yet to be confirmed but fans will not be allowed to attend any friendly games due to ongoing restrictions during the UK’s recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic.
Currently the season is due to begin on Saturday, September 5 with a trip to Luton Town in the first round of the League Cup. However, that date could change due to that being during an international window.
The Championship season is set to start on the weekend of September 11-13, with fixtures set to be announced this Friday.