PRESSER RECAP: Idah out of City's trip to Forest with surgery likely
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Adam Idah will miss Norwich City's trip to Nottingham Forest, with hernia surgery looking likely, but the Championship leaders have no fresh injury concerns.
The Republic of Ireland international wasn't on the bench for Sunday's 2-1 win at Sheffield Wednesday due to his hernia issue but it wasn't clear if he would need an operation.
Kenny McLean (back), Todd Cantwell (Achilles) and Emi Buendia (muscle soreness) were struggling slightly towards the end of the win at Hillsborough and although Farke said Lukas Rupp also had a slight neck complaint, he is not expecting any fresh injury problems.
Other than the long-term absences of Sam Byram and Michael McGovern, it is the latest injury disruption for Idah which was of concern, which is set to keep the 20-year-old forward of World Cup qualification action with Ireland during the international break.
"It's not the final decision but it is quite likely that it will happen.We will see another specialist this week and it's pretty likely he needs surgery.
"If the second opinion is also in this way then we will do it straight away and then of course he will not be available for the Ireland squad, we will see what happens over the next days.
"It depends on how it works and how much needs to be fixed, the good thing is that if everything works quite quickly he could be available two weeks after the surgery.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 5 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
"But it could also be up to four or five weeks, it depends on how tidy everything is and how much work is needed. It's a bit too soon to judge it, we have to wait to see if it is really the right decision to do this surgery and how it works.
"But he will definitely miss the game, also the weekend and I think also the international games."
Idah scored the winner at Huddersfield on the opening day of the Championship campaign and featured in the next six games as well, before a petulant red card during a 2-1 home win over Wycombe in October brought a three-game ban.
Foot and knee injuries after international action with Ireland in November kept him out of action for two months, followed by a spell of self-isolation due to a positive Covid-19 test.
He had featured regularly as a substitute ever since and scored a late goal to seal a 2-0 win at Wycombe at the end of last month, prior to his hernia problem becoming a bigger issue.
The academy product also signed a new contract just before Christmas.
- You can catch up on updates from the press conference in the live blog below
The Championship leaders reclaimed their 10-point lead at the top of the table as they won 2-1 at Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday, securing an eighth consecutive victory.
They head to Forest on Wednesday (7pm), who are 17th and have worked their way to nine points clear of the relegation zone, after former Norwich boss Chris Hughton took charge in October after a bad start to the campaign.
Hughton's team are without a win in four matches, being pegged back by a late goal as they were held to a 1-1 home draw by play-off chasing Reading on Saturday.