TEAM NEWS: Rupp injury setback ahead of CIty's trip to Derby
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City midfielder Lukas Rupp has suffered an injury setback ahead of the Championship leaders' trip to Derby County on Saturday.
Rupp set up both goals as City won 2-0 at Nottingham Forest last month but has missed the last three games with hamstring trouble, seeing a specialist to try and recover fully.
It was hoped that the 30-year-old and young forward Adam Idah (hernia surgery) could be back in contention ahead of the trip to Derby but Idah and goalkeeper Michael McGovern (hamstring surgery) will return to full training next week ahead of the Saturday evening home clash with Bournemouth.
"First of all, good news, all of the players who were available for the last game are available, so no new injury concerns," explained head coach Daniel Farke.
"Also some good news, Adam Idah and Michael McGovern are edging closer to rejoining us in team training. They are not available for the game tomorrow but I think they will be back in team training at any point next week.
"So good news with them but bad news with Lukas Rupp, he re-injured himself during his rehab and has a new injury of his hamstring, it's a major setback and he will miss at least the next three weeks.
"It's pretty doubtful if he will be involved at any point of this season again. It's of course a bit disappointing, we will investigate it further because he has struggled twice now with the rehab process.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 2 ‘It’s me, it’s Tettey’ - Canaries legend's best quotes
- 3 City ranked top Premier League club for fan engagement
- 4 'My mission is not over' - Klose opens door to permanent Basel stay
- 5 Could City target any free agents this summer?
- 6 Rosenborg set for talks with Tettey
- 7 Pukki injury emphasises Norwich City’s need for another striker
- 8 City star facing possible race for Euros fitness due to injury
- 9 Former City defender lands senior role at Wolves
- 10 Spurs confirm Skipp has had surgery after injury with Canaries
"So we will assess if there are some other problems, perhaps with his blood as to why he has these ongoing muscle problems, especially with his hamstring.
"We will assess this with a specialist because it is of course disappointing but this is the reality, we have to handle it and hope that Lukas can join us during this season, and if not then pretty fit and in a good shape for next season."
The Canaries already know they will be without full-back Sam Byram, as he works his way back from over a year out due to two hamstring operations, and centre-back Ben Gibson (ankle operation) until pre-season.
Fellow central defender Christoph Zimmermann (hamstring) is hoping to return to contention before the end of the season.
City can be promoted at Pride Park with victory but only if Swansea fail to win at Millwall in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off and if Brentford fail to win at Preston at 3pm.
- You can see how the press conference unfolded below
The Canaries are unbeaten in 12 and powered eight points clear of second-placed Watford with a 7-0 thrashing of Huddersfield at Carrow Road on Tuesday, pushing them 17 ahead of third-placed Brentford.
Derby have only won one of their last nine and after losing 3-1 at Reading on Monday, Wayne Rooney's team sit 18th in the table and eight points clear of the relegation zone.