‘Over the moon’ – Idah flying high after becoming City’s youngest EVER hat-trick scorer
- Credit: Michael Sedgwick/Focus Images Ltd
The huge smile told the story as Adam Idah spoke to the media following his FA Cup treble at Preston – which made him Norwich City’s youngest ever hat-trick hero.
The 18-year-old was the star of the show as the Canaries won 4-2 in the third round, sealing the club's first FA Cup victory in seven years.
That edges him ahead of Craig Bellamy and Justin Fashanu, who both scored trebles as 19-year-olds for City and launches his senior career, in just his third appearance at first team level.
"Obviously it's a great start to the year for me, just over the moon really to get a hat-trick," a buzzing Idah said. Even to start the game was unbelievable so it's been great.
"To get an early goal was unbelievable and brings up my confidence, to get off the mark and get another two goals is great for me."
You may also want to watch:
The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international was signed from College Corinthians in the summer of 2017 and starred as the under-18s reached the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals in 2017-18, signing a new long-term contract last summer.
With City going to Manchester United in the Premier League next Saturday and senior strikers Teemu Pukki, Josip Drmic and Dennis Srbeny all fitness doubts, Idah was asked about the prospect of playing at Old Trafford.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 5 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 9 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 10 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
He replied: "That's what I'm working towards, working hard every day in training to try and get that opportunity and I'm just delighted to take it really."
His hat-trick was sealed by a penalty midway through the second half, having finished one-on-one and early and then curled in a 35-yard effort after goalkeeping error in the first half.
But he revealed: "Todd Cantwell was put on penalties tonight but to be fair to Todd he let me take it to get the hat-trick, so I was just delighted."
That was powerfully tucked home at the same end as the 800 away fans enjoying a rare FA Cup success for the Canaries, with Idah adding: "There is a bit of pressure but I've taken penalties all my life so I had to just put the pressure behind me and it was good to score."
City now go into the fourth round draw on Monday evening, which will be made at 7.35pm live on BBC One.