Preston are confident of landing Russell
Darel Russell looks set to start the new season with City's Championship rivals Preston North End. Deepdale boss Darren Ferguson has confirmed that he is in talks with Russell over personal terms.
Darel Russell looks set to start the new season with City's Championship rivals Preston North End.
Deepdale boss Darren Ferguson has confirmed that he is in talks with Russell over personal terms.
The 29-year-old midfielder is available on a Bosman free after turning down the offer of a new deal at Carrow Road this summer. Russell had been heavily linked with a move to Leeds, but Ferguson says he is winning the race.
“I have spoken to Darel, there's no secret about that, he was at our game against Blackburn last week,” said Ferguson. “We are negotiating with his agent at the moment, hopefully we can get a deal done. Of course we're mindful of the balance sheet, Darel is on a free but we have to negotiate his wages.
You may also want to watch:
“These things always take time so we'll wait and see. The boy is 29, has good experience and is a very good player. He's very fit, has good energy, and was outstanding for Norwich last season. Darel has one or two things up his sleeve but after we had a very good positive chat, he wants to come. At the moment I'm hopeful, more than over-confident, that he will come.”
Russell's 39 appearances in all competitions last season took his tally over his two spells at Carrow Road to 271 and 19 goals.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 3 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 4 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 7 Hanley insists winning title 'means everything' to Canaries
- 8 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 9 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 10 Watford wanted to stop promoted City enjoying 'showcase game'