Preston North End add former Norwich City coach Frankie McAvoy to Alex Neil’s backroom team
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Frankie McAvoy’s expected addition to Alex Neil’s coaching staff at Preston North End has been confirmed.
The 50-year-old Scot’s exit was announced by Norwich City earlier this week, leaving his first-team coach role on a mutually agreed basis.
That followed former Canaries boss Neil being named as Simon Grayson’s successor at Preston, with McAvoy having followed Neil to Norfolk in February 2015 after previously working together at Hamilton Academical.
“We have been together for a long time; 10 years at Hamilton – where he was first a player and then he took the manager’s job – and we had some great times at a fantastic club,” McAvoy said. “Then both of us went to Norwich and we had some really good times there.
“When I got the opportunity to come here it was a no-brainer for me – I thought ‘I have to go’. Alex’s knowledge of the game is excellent for one so young and we have done well at the clubs we have been at and hopefully that can continue.”
You may also want to watch:
Neil, speaking to Preston’s website, added: “I am really pleased Frank is here. We have had some really successful times and we have had two promotions. Frank knows how I work and we have got a great relationship, so he is a good addition to the backroom team and hopefully we can all work together.”
Goalkeeping coach Dean Kiely also left City this week but his permanent successor is yet to bee announced, as head coach Daniel Farke’s backroom staff continues to take shape.
- 1 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 2 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 5 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 6 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
- 7 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 9 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis