Preston sign Darel Russell
Preston North End have signed former Norwich City midfielder Darel Russell on a three-year deal. The 29-year-old turned down a new deal at Carrow Road and was courted by several top Championship sides before deciding to link up with Darren Ferguson's team.
Preston North End have signed former Norwich City midfielder Darel Russell on a three-year deal.
The 29-year-old turned down a new deal at Carrow Road and was courted by several top Championship sides before deciding to link up with Darren Ferguson's team.
Russell was part of the Canaries team which was relegated to League One in 2009 but that didn't stop Premier League new boys Burnley from lodging a �500k bid for his services. That bid was rejected and Russell remained at Carrow Road to become a key member of Paul Lambert's side that romped to the League One title.
Russell became a free agent this summer and has spent time training at Watford under the guidance of his former Norwich team-mate Malky Mackay.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking on Preston North End's official website Russell said: "It was a no-brainer decision from a footballing point of view. It looks like a club that are trying to play in the right way which is a big thing and they have the right mentality of trying to bring the young lads through and progress that way.
"The plan for every team is to try and reach that promised land. I don't think anyone starting this season from day one doesn't have that objective, if you don't have that aim and objective then I don't think you should be in this league, the whole idea is to compete for major honours in this division.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 3 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 6 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 7 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 8 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto
"My aims and ambitions are exactly the same and I am sure from speaking to Darren Ferguson that he is very enthusiastic about doing that and achieving that as soon as possible."