Preston sign Darel Russell
Preston North End have signed former Norwich City midfielder Darel Russell on a three-year deal. The 29-year-old turned down a new deal at Carrow Road and was courted by several top Championship sides before deciding to link up with Darren Ferguson's team.
Preston North End have signed former Norwich City midfielder Darel Russell on a three-year deal.
The 29-year-old turned down a new deal at Carrow Road and was courted by several top Championship sides before deciding to link up with Darren Ferguson's team.
Russell was part of the Canaries team which was relegated to League One in 2009 but that didn't stop Premier League new boys Burnley from lodging a �500k bid for his services. That bid was rejected and Russell remained at Carrow Road to become a key member of Paul Lambert's side that romped to the League One title.
Russell became a free agent this summer and has spent time training at Watford under the guidance of his former Norwich team-mate Malky Mackay.
Speaking on Preston North End's official website Russell said: "It was a no-brainer decision from a footballing point of view. It looks like a club that are trying to play in the right way which is a big thing and they have the right mentality of trying to bring the young lads through and progress that way.
"The plan for every team is to try and reach that promised land. I don't think anyone starting this season from day one doesn't have that objective, if you don't have that aim and objective then I don't think you should be in this league, the whole idea is to compete for major honours in this division.
- 1 WOLVES 1 CANARIES 1 - Key moments, ratings and stats
- 2 Robin Sainty: The current situation at Norwich City is toxic
- 3 'It's something' - Fans react to City's point at Wolves
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Wolves 1-1 Norwich City
- 5 Spud Thornhill: Let's make sure we're Norwich City united!
- 6 Former City star's wife tells of player's devastating dementia battle
- 7 Follow live updates from Wolves v Norwich City
- 8 Ex-Canary Whittaker excited for Fleetwood assistant role
- 9 City boss in the market for another 'Buendia-style' creative spark
- 10 STARTING XIs: Normann returns for City's Wolves visit
"My aims and ambitions are exactly the same and I am sure from speaking to Darren Ferguson that he is very enthusiastic about doing that and achieving that as soon as possible."