Preston sign Darel Russell
Preston North End have signed former Norwich City midfielder Darel Russell on a three-year deal. The 29-year-old turned down a new deal at Carrow Road and was courted by several top Championship sides before deciding to link up with Darren Ferguson's team.
Preston North End have signed former Norwich City midfielder Darel Russell on a three-year deal.
The 29-year-old turned down a new deal at Carrow Road and was courted by several top Championship sides before deciding to link up with Darren Ferguson's team.
Russell was part of the Canaries team which was relegated to League One in 2009 but that didn't stop Premier League new boys Burnley from lodging a �500k bid for his services. That bid was rejected and Russell remained at Carrow Road to become a key member of Paul Lambert's side that romped to the League One title.
Russell became a free agent this summer and has spent time training at Watford under the guidance of his former Norwich team-mate Malky Mackay.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking on Preston North End's official website Russell said: "It was a no-brainer decision from a footballing point of view. It looks like a club that are trying to play in the right way which is a big thing and they have the right mentality of trying to bring the young lads through and progress that way.
"The plan for every team is to try and reach that promised land. I don't think anyone starting this season from day one doesn't have that objective, if you don't have that aim and objective then I don't think you should be in this league, the whole idea is to compete for major honours in this division.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 'That's the bottom line' - Dowell clear on his City priorities
- 3 Can City seal just their third Carrow Road promotion?
- 4 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 5 Another goal for Drmic - could City striker earn Euros recall?
- 6 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 7 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 8 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
- 9 Connor Southwell: Why Emi Buendia must be crowned City's Player of the Season
- 10 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
"My aims and ambitions are exactly the same and I am sure from speaking to Darren Ferguson that he is very enthusiastic about doing that and achieving that as soon as possible."