Probe into abuse at Hull football match
A probe is under way after Norwich City supporters claimed they were abused and faced with Nazi salutes during the weekend's clash at Hull.Canaries fans who travelled to Hull City on Saturday said there had been no trouble on previous visits to Hull, but this time had to endure abuse during and after the game.
A probe is under way after Norwich City supporters claimed they were abused and faced with Nazi salutes during the weekend's clash at Hull.
Canaries fans who travelled to Hull City on Saturday said there had been no trouble on previous visits to Hull, but this time had to endure abuse during and after the game.
They claim the home fans threw missiles and abused them, leaving some female fans in tears throughout the 2-1 away defeat.
Hull City Football Club declined to comment today, except to say it was awaiting the outcome of a police investigation and might be in a position to release a statement later this week.
You may also want to watch:
Supporters on internet message boards said the behaviour was more sinister than the usual rivalry between Championship teams.
One fan wrote: “I got back from the game wishing I had never gone. I have never come back from a football match shaking with anger before. Most disgustingly, three Hull followers performed a Nazi salute in our direction. A lot of fans were upset and on seeing this I ran for a copper, he said: 'Calm down we'll keep an eye out'.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 5 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
“I demanded their removal and was told to calm down or I'd be ejected. Eventually, those three were removed kicking and screaming for hurling abuse and a coin I think.”
Another fan questioned the security arrangements for away fans, saying: “When we left the away stand we tried to walk towards our car, but were approached by 10 chavs hurling abuse at me and my brother, saying if we went any further we would get smacked. We went back into the away car park and awaited an escort out.”
A spokesman for the Canaries said: “Norwich City Football Club takes the safety of its supporters at games very seriously. However, the club hasn't received any complaints regarding the behaviour of supporters or the standard of stewarding at the Hull match.”
Humberside police said today they were unable to comment because their football liaison officer was on holiday.
What was your experience of the Hull game? Write to Evening News Letters, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE, e-mail eveningnewsletters@ archant.co.uk or visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/ forums