Promising first half tailed off for Watkins after returning to City’s starting line-up at Forest
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Our latest Canaries player watch followed the fortunes of forward Marley Watkins during Tuesday night’s 1-0 Championship defeat at Nottingham Forest.
The former Barnsley man had started City’s last two matches on the bench but returned to the starting XI at the City Ground, here’s how his evening unfolded.
5 – Starting on the left wing, tracks back well to make an important tackle on Ben Osborn in midfield with City’s defence scrambling.
12 – Darts in behind Tendayi Darikwa and Wes Hoolahan spots the run, lifts the ball over but Watkins’ touch is poor, recovers and fires a low shot just beyond the left post from the edge of the box.
You may also want to watch:
14 – Plays Mario Vrancic in to the left channel but midfielder’s touch is poor and Watkins is unable to regain possession.
16 – Marco Stiepermann chips over the defence but Wales international just goes too early and is adjudged to be offside.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
- 2 FARKE: Full roll call on City's injured stars
- 3 Limited number of tickets left for fans ahead of Wednesday and Forest matches
- 4 Through troubled waters to unexpected success - Farke reflects on spell as City boss
- 5 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 6 Di Cunningham: Young talent will not be hindered under Farke and Webber's watch
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 9 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 10 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round
35 – Senses danger, fills in at left-back after Stiepermann bursts forward and eventually makes important challenge on Daryl Murphy on the edge of the box.
36 – Combines well with Maddison, whose shot is blocked, Watkins hits a shot himself which is blocked, then tries to keep alive with Hoolahan but they’re crowded out.
38 – Gets dragged inside tracking Liam Bridcutt’s run, allowing Kieran Dowell a run in the right channel but sprints back and makes a fine sliding tackle on the edge of City’s box.
40 – Hoolahan slips the 27-year-old into left channel, cuts on to his right and gets shot away but Worrall and Michael Mancienne take sting out of the ball for keeper Jordan Smith.
53 – Good control from an Angus Gunn clearance, tackled by Osborn and no foul given.
55 – Hanley plays long ball which Watkins keeps alive, Maddison crowded out and Vrancic eventually fires over after winning back possession.
66 – Darts in behind the Forest back-line but Vrancic pass is cut out.
67 – Fouls Worrall competing for an aerial ball.
69 – Cuts inside to collect Stiepermann’s ball forward but offside given.
83 – Beats Carayol to the ball before giving it away. Soon after turns nicely under pressure and finds Oliveira, who is fouled on halfway.
Verdict: Bright first half, determined and caused problems for Forest. Influence waned after the break, perhaps understandably with lack of game-time.
Rating: 7 out of 10