Pukki power claims Player of the Season glory after Norwich City fan vote
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Star striker Teemu Pukki has been named Player of the Season for 2018-19 by Norwich City fans, topping the public vote ahead of tonight’s clash with Blackburn Rovers.
The Finland international has enjoyed a quite incredible debut campaign with the Canaries, since joining on a free transfer from Danish side Brondby last summer.
Stand-in skipper Christoph Zimmermann finished in second place and another summer signing, Emi Buendia, finished in third in the public vote – with the awards handed out by majority shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones.
Pukki is on course to win the Championship golden boot with 28 goals to his name with two games of the season remaining, leading the Canaries’ unexpected promotion charge.
He was also named Championship Player of the Season and included in the division’s Team of the Season at the EFL Awards earlier this month, alongside City team-mates Jamal Lewis and Max Aarons.
You may also want to watch:
The 29-year-old Finn has scored a total of 29 goals in 44 games in all competitions, with another three goals in eight games for his country taking his total tally to a remarkable 32 goals in 52 matches.
He can also add 12 assists to that remarkable goal haul, having had just one brief injury spell, missing three games in October after tweaking his hamstring on international duty.
- 1 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 2 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 4 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 5 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 8 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 9 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
He joins former Player of the Season winners including Grant Holt, Seb Bassong, Gary Holt, Kevin Drinkell and Steve Bruce in a select group of players who have lifted the Barry Butler Memorial Trophy at the end of the first full season with the club.
He has also written his name into Canaries record books, with his 28 Championship goals the most a City player has ever managed in a single league season in the top two tiers, surpassing the 25 scored by Chris Sutton in the top flight in 1993-94.
Ahead of tonight’s game against Blackburn the only players to have scored more in a league season were Ralp Hunt with 31 in 1955-56 and Percy Varco with 29 during 1927-28, both of which were Division Three South campaigns.
Just five players have managed more than Pukki’s 29 in all competitions, so far, with Terry Allcock’s 37 during the second tier season of 1962-63 set to remain the club record.
James Maddison won Player of the Season last year, ahead of defender Grant Hanley and loan goalkeeper Angus Gunn.
• Follow all the action, analysis and reaction from Carrow Road in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live
• Don’t forget to download the Pink Un app for exclusive insight and analysis from our reporters