Pukki power claims Player of the Season glory after Norwich City fan vote
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Star striker Teemu Pukki has been named Player of the Season for 2018-19 by Norwich City fans, topping the public vote ahead of tonight’s clash with Blackburn Rovers.
The Finland international has enjoyed a quite incredible debut campaign with the Canaries, since joining on a free transfer from Danish side Brondby last summer.
Stand-in skipper Christoph Zimmermann finished in second place and another summer signing, Emi Buendia, finished in third in the public vote – with the awards handed out by majority shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones.
Pukki is on course to win the Championship golden boot with 28 goals to his name with two games of the season remaining, leading the Canaries’ unexpected promotion charge.
He was also named Championship Player of the Season and included in the division’s Team of the Season at the EFL Awards earlier this month, alongside City team-mates Jamal Lewis and Max Aarons.
You may also want to watch:
The 29-year-old Finn has scored a total of 29 goals in 44 games in all competitions, with another three goals in eight games for his country taking his total tally to a remarkable 32 goals in 52 matches.
He can also add 12 assists to that remarkable goal haul, having had just one brief injury spell, missing three games in October after tweaking his hamstring on international duty.
- 1 Six things after the conclusion of City's superb season
- 2 'There are some offers' - Vrancic on life after City
- 3 City Q&A - Paddy answered your questions
- 4 The magic moment Cantwell helps young fan touch trophy
- 5 'It makes sense for him to come back' - Tettey on Tottenham ace
- 6 Promotion joy for Canaries legend
- 7 PREMIERE: Documentary celebrates City's title triumph
- 8 City loanee scores but can't prevent relegation
- 9 Chris Goreham: Evolution of City's midfield will be feature of summer
- 10 'Deserved champions' - Barnsley chief in warm tribute to Canaries
He joins former Player of the Season winners including Grant Holt, Seb Bassong, Gary Holt, Kevin Drinkell and Steve Bruce in a select group of players who have lifted the Barry Butler Memorial Trophy at the end of the first full season with the club.
He has also written his name into Canaries record books, with his 28 Championship goals the most a City player has ever managed in a single league season in the top two tiers, surpassing the 25 scored by Chris Sutton in the top flight in 1993-94.
Ahead of tonight’s game against Blackburn the only players to have scored more in a league season were Ralp Hunt with 31 in 1955-56 and Percy Varco with 29 during 1927-28, both of which were Division Three South campaigns.
Just five players have managed more than Pukki’s 29 in all competitions, so far, with Terry Allcock’s 37 during the second tier season of 1962-63 set to remain the club record.
James Maddison won Player of the Season last year, ahead of defender Grant Hanley and loan goalkeeper Angus Gunn.
• Follow all the action, analysis and reaction from Carrow Road in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live
• Don’t forget to download the Pink Un app for exclusive insight and analysis from our reporters