Pukki power claims Player of the Season glory after Norwich City fan vote
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Star striker Teemu Pukki has been named Player of the Season for 2018-19 by Norwich City fans, topping the public vote ahead of tonight’s clash with Blackburn Rovers.
The Finland international has enjoyed a quite incredible debut campaign with the Canaries, since joining on a free transfer from Danish side Brondby last summer.
Stand-in skipper Christoph Zimmermann finished in second place and another summer signing, Emi Buendia, finished in third in the public vote – with the awards handed out by majority shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones.
Pukki is on course to win the Championship golden boot with 28 goals to his name with two games of the season remaining, leading the Canaries’ unexpected promotion charge.
He was also named Championship Player of the Season and included in the division’s Team of the Season at the EFL Awards earlier this month, alongside City team-mates Jamal Lewis and Max Aarons.
You may also want to watch:
The 29-year-old Finn has scored a total of 29 goals in 44 games in all competitions, with another three goals in eight games for his country taking his total tally to a remarkable 32 goals in 52 matches.
He can also add 12 assists to that remarkable goal haul, having had just one brief injury spell, missing three games in October after tweaking his hamstring on international duty.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries make bid for Peterborough ace
- 2 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 3 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 4 Boro set to sign Premier League forward ahead of Norwich trip
- 5 'There isn't one team that stands out' - Bees' boss on promotion fight
- 6 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 7 'He came crying' - Former coach details Giannoulis left-back conversion
- 8 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 9 Connor Southwell: Sorting Todd’s contract is City’s next big mission
- 10 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
He joins former Player of the Season winners including Grant Holt, Seb Bassong, Gary Holt, Kevin Drinkell and Steve Bruce in a select group of players who have lifted the Barry Butler Memorial Trophy at the end of the first full season with the club.
He has also written his name into Canaries record books, with his 28 Championship goals the most a City player has ever managed in a single league season in the top two tiers, surpassing the 25 scored by Chris Sutton in the top flight in 1993-94.
Ahead of tonight’s game against Blackburn the only players to have scored more in a league season were Ralp Hunt with 31 in 1955-56 and Percy Varco with 29 during 1927-28, both of which were Division Three South campaigns.
Just five players have managed more than Pukki’s 29 in all competitions, so far, with Terry Allcock’s 37 during the second tier season of 1962-63 set to remain the club record.
James Maddison won Player of the Season last year, ahead of defender Grant Hanley and loan goalkeeper Angus Gunn.
• Follow all the action, analysis and reaction from Carrow Road in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live
• Don’t forget to download the Pink Un app for exclusive insight and analysis from our reporters