City ace 'confident' of featuring at Euro 2020 despite injury
Teemu Pukki is "confident" he will be fit to spearhead Finland's Euro 2020 campaign in their Group B opener against Denmark on June 12.
The 31-year-old is currently sidelined with an ankle injury sustained in the 4-1 win over Reading in the penultimate game of Norwich City's Championship season, which sealed their title success.
There had been fears Pukki could miss the tournament but the striker believes he will be ready to play against the Danes although he will miss Finland's warm-up friendly against Sweden on Saturday.
“The ankle already feels much better," he told a press conference in Finland this afternoon. "The practice match against Sweden will be missed. Let’s see how the rehabilitation is going. I’m confident I’ll be fit to play against Denmark."
Finland also have a friendly against Estonia before the big kick-off and it remains to be seen whether Pukki can be involved.
Pukki admitted how he sustained the injury against the Royals caught him by surprise.
“The injury was weird," he added. "The second half felt strange. The next morning I woke up and my ankle was swollen.
- 1 'I wanted to stay' - Normann disappointed by City relegation
- 2 'We will bring players of the right standard' - City boss on missing link
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on AFC Wimbledon winger
- 4 Aarons an ideal fit for Man United - Rio
- 5 Former City keeper set to leave Wolves
- 6 Lee Payne: The tricky question Norwich City fans must face up to
- 7 McLean hammer blow for Scots' World Cup bid
- 8 Mulbarton Wanderers win Norfolk Senior Cup final
- 9 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 10 'Diabolical from day one' - Fans react to a woeful end to a woeful season for City
“It was a little scary because I didn’t think it would be so bad. I put a picture of the ankle to the physiotherapist, and I went there and pictures were taken of the ankle.
"When the results came, I called (national team doctor) Heikki Kinnunen and (physiotherapist) Jari-Pekka Keurulainen. Jolle ([Joel Pohjanpalo) has had ankle injuries and I also wanted to ask about his feelings.”
Pukki said they discovered that the ankle ligament had been torn but they wanted to see how the injury felt after the swelling had gone down before deciding if surgery would be necessary.
The former Brondby forward believes the injury is settling down and he is confident he will be able to play a part in their Euro 2020 campaign.
“The ankle has been rubbed and mobilized,” added Pukki, who revealed that Norwich are constantly being updated on his rehabilitation. “Otherwise, I have maintained my condition so that the condition and strength cannot be lost. I’m definitely doing more stuff here.”
Pukki admitted he will find it tough to be away from his family for so long during the tournament.
“It will be a long time not to see the family. Great respect for all the wives that allow us to do this. Fortunately, there is Facetime and all that we can keep in touch with. ”