Teemu Pukki makes the Finland squad
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Teemu Pukki is the latest Norwich City player to be called up for international duty.
The 30-year-old striker has been named in Finland’s squad for their upcoming Nations League fixtures against Wales on September 3 followed by an away trip to Ireland on Sunday, September 6.
Pukki scored his first City goal since February on Wednesday albeit it in a pre-season friendly against German third division side Dynamo Dresden.
City’s striker has been the Canaries top-scorer for two consecutive seasons and has been selected for his country once again despite Finland boss Markku Kanerva advising him to leave Carrow Road in search of a top-flight club last month.
“I already said in June he should move elsewhere.
You may also want to watch:
“He is without doubt a major player in a major (top five) league. (He has) 11 goals this season to prove it. He’s scored more than (Alexandre) Lacazette for example,” Kanerva explained to Finnish outlet Ilta Sanomat.
“As head of the national team, I want our players to play in the toughest leagues possible and to be as fit and healthy. It’s good for the national team.”
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 4 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 6 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 7 Hugill thrilled with brace and determined to help keep City on track
- 8 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
- 9 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 10 Watch extended highlights of the Canaries' 2-0 win over Bristol City
Pukki becomes the latest name to miss the Canaries trip to Kenilworth Road to face Luton Town in the Carabao Cup first-round, which the number of absentees growing to 16.
Quartet Ben Godfrey, Todd Cantwell, Oliver Skipp and Max Aarons were all been included in the England’s U21s squad on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Tim Krul (Holland), Michael McGovern (Northern Ireland), Kenny McLean (Scotland), Jamal Lewis (Northern Ireland), Przemyslaw Placheta (Poland U21s), Adam Idah (Republic of Ireland) and Jacob Sorensen (Denmark U21s) will also miss the fixture.
Josip Drmic and Emi Buendia serve the second of their three match suspensions following red cards against Burnley with right-back Sam Byram missing the game through injury.
Goalkeeper Dan Bardan is expected to play for the Canaries in the fixture and will get some minutes in City’s final pre-season friendly against SV Darmstadt 98 on Saturday.
Luton will be without just one player, club record signing Simon Sluga, who has been called up by Croatia.