‘Amazing’ Pukki is still the star man for Canaries keeper
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Tim Krul has no doubt about who he will vote for as Norwich City’s player of the season: top scorer Teemu Pukki.
There has been some talk among Canaries fans that the whole team should be awarded the Barry Butler Memorial Trophy, such has been their superb effort, but the Dutch keeper isn’t keen on that idea.
“For me, you always have the number one, and for me Pukki,” said Krul. “Of course he’s going to get the plaudits, he’s our main man and that’s well deserved.
“Of course you’ve got the boys around it and the young boys coming through as well but for me, Teemu, without a shadow of a doubt has been amazing for us.”
The prolific Finland international has an outstanding 25 goals and 12 assists to his name from 39 games in all competitions for City and has also been nominated for the Championship Player of the Season award ahead of the EFL Awards on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Pukki has also been named in the Championship Team of the Season, alongside full-backs Jamal Lewis and Max Aarons but Krul also highlighted centre-back Christoph Zimmermann’s fine campaign.
“For me, it’s Zimbo, 100 percent,” he said, speaking on the latest Along Come Norwich podcast, when asked for an unsung hero in the squad. “To see where he’s come from and to take up that leader role, he’s an example for all of us.
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries make bid for Peterborough ace
- 3 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 4 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 5 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 6 'He came crying' - Former coach details Giannoulis left-back conversion
- 7 'There isn't one team that stands out' - Bees' boss on promotion fight
- 8 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 9 Connor Southwell: Sorting Todd’s contract is City’s next big mission
- 10 Boro set to sign Premier League forward ahead of Norwich trip
“He will always be the first one out and stays in the gym – you can see that, he loves the gym! – I think he’s been great, really stepped up but it’s so difficult to point out one.
“The ones who are on the bench at the moment, the player of the month in January, Mario (Vrancic), and he’s barely getting a minute at the moment.”
Krul also hailed the transformational work of sporting director Stuart Webber and head coach Daniel Farke, as City head into Saturday’s home clash with QPR sitting five points clear at the top of the table.
“If you look at our bench, they are all starters, every single one of them – and some of them don’t even make the squad,” he continued. “It’s just incredible for where we sat in pre-season and Stuart Webber and the manager had this vision of where we might be going but the way the season is going – we finished 14th last season, to then finish top six is a major achievement.”
• Krul was speaking alongside City team-mate Ben Godfrey at Colney, you can listen to the full podcast at AlongComeNorwich.com