Q&A: Barnsley fans will be ‘gutted’ to see prized asset Marley Watkins sign for Norwich City
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
As Norwich City confirm the signing of Barnsley forward Marley Watkins on a free transfer, David Freezer speaks to Tykes supporter Rob Miles about the Welshman’s Oakwell exit.
Will Barnsley fans be disappointed to lose Watkins?
Gutted. He is arguably one of only two crown jewels we have left following the January departures of Sam Winnall and Conor Hourihane and it was a departure we all feared. Our club’s policy of only giving out two-year contracts in case the players flop has backfired massively as we have had the best two years for a long time and now everybody is moving on to much better wages and we don’t receive a cracker in return.
Full story: Norwich City sign Marley Watkins
What type of player is he and what are his strengths?
Very flexible in his position as he can play on the wing, up front or just behind the striker. He is an extremely intelligent player and I think we would have finished much more comfortably in the League One play-offs in 2015-2016 if he had been fit all of the season. His strengths really have come to the fore this campaign and he scores some exceptional goals – see his efforts at home to Fulham and away at Blackburn.
You may also want to watch:
Which parts of his game could do with improvement?
Possibly temperament, he received a straight red card for stamping against Forest in November and picked up another seven yellows this season. Often gets frustrated if things aren’t going right but it shows how passionate he is.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
Do you think he would be capable of stepping up to the Premier League?
Very difficult question to answer, the only player we have had for the last two years that I could see without any doubt performing in the Premier League is Hourihane, the rest really would be suck and see. Its not like Watkins dominates games but is very consistent.