MATCHDAY RECAP: City move closer to the Championship title with QPR win
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
It wasn't a day that ended with silverware for Norwich City, but a win against QPR has moved them closer to the Championship title.
The Canaries now require just two points to be crowned champions, with Watford's win against Millwall at Vicarage Road denying Daniel Farke's side the title. The Hornets have now confirmed their promotion to the Premier League.
City have maintained that five point gap over Watford with two games to play, and a win against Reading at Carrow Road next weekend would be enough to secure the Championship title.
Norwich sit just one point behind their points record of 94 at this level, achieved by Nigel Worthington's squad in 2003/04 and matched by Farke's class two seasons ago.
QPR are one of the in-form sides in the Championship this season, and sit behind City and Watford in the form table since the reverse fixture back in December. Charlie Austin and Albert Adomah made an impact from the bench, with Tim Krul's penalty save being a defining moment in the game.
That allowed Emi Buendia to add a third to secure the points after full-backs Xavi Quintilla and Max Aarons put City into a two goal lead. Lyndon Dykes offered the hosts a route back into the encounter, but Farke's men managed to hold on.
- You can recap the action live from Loftus Road via our match day blog
- 1 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 2 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 3 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 4 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 6 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 7 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 9 When will Norwich City learn their Premier League fixtures?
- 10 Rosenborg set for talks with Tettey