Rafa Benitez reveals delight at signing Norwich City starlet Jacob Murphy
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jacob Murphy can make a big splash in the Premier League for Newcastle United, predicts Magpies’ chief Rafa Benitez.
Murphy’s reported £12m move from Norwich City is expected to be officially confirmed on Wednesday after travelling to Newcastle’s Irish training camp to undergo a medical, but Benitez is already plotting to unleash the 22-year-old on the top flight.
“Sometimes, when you are looking for a player, you are thinking if they are technically good enough, or if they have pace or can score goals or are good tactically,” said Benitez, speaking at United’s Dublin kit launch on Tuesday. “In this case, the main thing is that we have a player who has pace and can score goals, but wants to play for Newcastle United.
“That’s a huge advantage. He will be working so hard trying to impress our fans. It will help the competition in the team.”
Benites also revealed Murphy’s twin, Josh, was in his sights 12 months ago.
You may also want to watch:
“We were here in Ireland last year and we were talking about his brother,” he said. “We liked his brother and we spoke about him. I was following both of them, but I think we have signed the right one, the one I wanted. I have received a lot of information about both, and it was positive about both of them. But, in this case, we wanted the type of player (Jacob is) and were happy with that.
“We will see if he can reproduce his performances of the Championship in the Premier League. He has the potential to do that.”
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Leverkusen are main rival for Celtic star
- 2 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 3 City not pursuing Holland winger linked as summer target
- 4 Promotion winning former City defender retires
- 5 Canaries reveal squad values for Fantasy Premier League
- 6 Q&A: Assessing City's Premier League prospects with Dave and Connor
- 7 A-Z: Crystal Palace in limbo until they find new boss
- 8 Mourinho praise for City defender after Euro2020 accolade
- 9 No regrets just life lessons for City old boy
- 10 Former Norwich City coach moves on again - after just three months