City defender unsure of what the future holds
- Credit: James Wilson/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City loanee Sean Raggett says he is in the dark about his future.
Raggett is currently on loan at League One Portsmouth – but is unsure what awaits beyond June 30 if the current season does recommence.
The 26-year-old’s deal at City is due to expire at the end of next month, which would leave him without a parent club to loan him.
The EFL has written to Portsmouth on how they plan to navigate the complex issue of contracts expiring.
Clubs have until June 23 to offer players a new contract, offer extensions that would expire at midnight on the final day of the campaign, or release players – although they won’t be eligible to play for a new club until the 2020-21 season starts.
You may also want to watch:
But there is no clear indication on whether the Premier League have a similar plan in place.
“I’m out of contract at Norwich at the end of June and nobody knows what they’re going to do, if players can extend their contract for a short amount of time or sign a completely new deal,” the central defender told the Portsmouth News.
- 1 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 2 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 6 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 7 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 8 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 9 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 10 'Champagne on ice' - City set for Carrow Road celebration next week
“I don’t really know and we’re a bit in the dark about that as well.
“I think the clubs themselves aren’t too sure what’s going on so it’s hard for them to give us any information when they probably don’t know themselves.
“It’s a unique situation, it’s never really happened before.”
Raggett joined the Canaries from Lincoln City in August 2017, on a three-year deal, and was immediately loan backs to the Imps until the end of the year. A year after joining Norwich he joined Rotherham United on a season-long loan deal, although it ended prematurely after Raggett required surgery for an ankle injury.
Last summer he moved to Portsmouth on a season-long loan deal and has scored two goals in 36 appearances for Pompey.
However, he has made just two league appearances off the bench for Norwich, against Bristol City and Sheffield Wednesday in January, 2018 and currently finds himself well down the pecking order at City.