‘I can still improve’ - Raggett targets Pompey success as he chases City contract extension
- Credit: James Wilson/Focus Images Ltd
Sean Raggett is confident he is capable of better than his current performances for Portsmouth, despite being a regular starter as he tries to earn a Norwich City contract extension with the League One promotion chasers.
Raggett has started and finished the last 18 games in succession in all competitions for Kenny Jackett's team, who sit seventh and just a point adrift of the play-offs ahead of Tuesday night's action.
Pompey also have a Wembley date in early April, as they try to retain the EFL Trophy in the final against League Two side Salford, with a home FA Cup fifth round tie against Arsenal looming next month as well.
The 25-year-old former Lincoln centre-back is out of contract at Norwich this summer but the Canaries can activate a one-year contract, which is looking quite possible with Daniel Farke's team likely to be relegated back to the Championship.
"When it wasn't going so well I was confident I would get back to how I can play," Raggett revealed. "And I still feel I can play a lot better than I am at the moment.
"So I'm still looking to keep improving and get right back to how I know I can play. I think I can still improve my all-round game.
You may also want to watch:
"I was out for a long time last season (due to an ankle injury while on loan at Rotherham) and that made for a tough start this season.
"But in each game I'm feeling better and sharper. I feel I can keep improving in every area.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 5 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 6 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 7 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 10 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
"If I wasn't confident I was going to go through it I would have gone back to Norwich or stopped playing football.
"If you don't have confidence in yourself there's no point.
"I've always been confident I've been able to turn around my season, so it's nice to see it happen."
Pompey host MK Dons at Fratton Park this evening in League One, when Raggett will be on the opposing side to fellow City loanees Carlton Morris and Louis Thompson, with Canaries legend Russell Martin in the opposition dug-out.
However, the towering defender has informed Pompey fans they may be best to tweak their 'Raggett for England' chants during matches.
"I'm half Irish and if there was the choice that's probably what I'd go for," he added, speaking to Portsmouth newspaper The News.
"So maybe we should get 'Raggett for Ireland' going instead!"
Raggett joined Norwich in the summer of 2017 before initially returning to Lincoln on loan, making two brief appearances for City during the second half of the 2017-18 campaign under Farke, mostly featuring as an unused substitute.