Rare defeat for Diss in promotion head-to-head

DIVISION ONE: Diss were beaten for the first time since the opening game of the season, 4-1 at fellow promotion hopefuls Stowmarket, where there were three penalties.

Stow are now just one point behind the second-placed Tangerines with a game in hand. Leaders by a point Cambridge University Press were also beaten and will be at Diss on Saturday.

After Rob Canfer had hit a post for Stow, they took the lead in the 25th minute. After Diss gave the ball away there was a scramble in the penalty area which ended with Ross Myhill scoring from two yards.

The first penalty was awarded in the 33rd minute, to Stowmarket. Canfer hit the bar but Lee Drummond netted the rebound. Twenty seconds into the second half came a Diss lifeline when Luke Catchpole was tripped and Stuart Garner converted the spot-kick for 2-1. The third penalty came from a Jordan Rocastle foul, but Diss keeper Matty Webster saved James Graham’s effort. In the 70th minute Marc Wake scored from close range and the scoring was completed two minutes from time when Wake was given the time and space to head in.

Gorleston improved their promotion chances with a 5-1 win over a Downham side now fourth from bottom. The Greens are fifth, three points off the leaders with two games in hand.

Peter Lambert scored twice for the hosts while Mitch Forbes, Steve Taylor and Chris Sandford were also on target. Ryan Pearson netted a spectacular late consolation for the visitors.

Fakenham recorded their first league win for eight games with a 2-1 victory over Long Melford at Clipbush Park, but again lacked a cutting edge.

Most Read

The Ghosts led 2-0 at the break, a scoreline which could have been doubled, then missed more chances second half as Melford clawed a goal back when keeper Tom Rix spilled the ball over the line as he fell under pressure taking a cross. First-half home marksmen were Matt Gilchrist and Karl Pask.

Swaffham are second bottom after suffering a 5-0 home defeat by Whitton, who led 2-0 at the break following goals from a corner and a goalmouth scramble. In the second half there were good early efforts from Will O’Brien and Richard Cornwall before the killer goal in the 64th minute. Another mistake led to the fourth goal and a penalty to the fifth, with Matthew Parkinson sent off for a last-man tackle.

Thetford lost 4-0 at home to Saffron Walden.