Reading 1 Norwich City 2 player watch: Josh Murphy offers some bright sparks before limping off
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Our latest Norwich City player watch focused on winger Josh Murphy during this evening’s 2-1 win at Reading.
1 – Charges down Paul McShane in the right-back area for a throw in the opening seconds, showing a great attitude, which Cameron Jerome nicks and plays back to the winger but Gareth McCleary tackles back.
6 – Leandro Bacuna is booked for cynically chopping Murphy down on halfway, after Tom Trybull intercepted Liam Kelly’s pass.
8 – Plays Jerome into the box, who robs McShane and then appeals for a penalty but ball is cleared, as far as James Maddison, who is fouled and then scores from the free-kick.
20 – Ivo Pinto bursts through the middle and spreads to James Husband on the left, who lays off to Murphy to attack Gunter, tries to cut inside but is tackled.
You may also want to watch:
24 – Ankles clipped by Bacuna just inside the City half to win a free-kick.
25 – Husband plays the winger in behind Gunter but Wes Hoolahan is the only player to aim at in the box and Liam Moore clears the cross.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 3 Bushiri completes Eupen loan
- 4 Placheta must kick on at City
- 5 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 6 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 7 Giannoulis in contention for Boro clash - as City secure work permit
- 8 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 9 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 10 'That's my dream' - Giannoulis hopes his style will boost City's promotion hopes
39 – Alex Tettey steals possession in the Reading half, Maddison tees up Murphy on the edge of the box, who shifts the ball on to his left foot before firing a low shot which Mannone holds comfortably.
44 – Jerome steals possession in the centre circle and Maddison sets Murphy down the left with a looping pass, the winger cuts in and uses Jerome’s run as a decoy, only for Gunter to throw his body in the way of a right-footed shot.
45+1 – Tackles back well after Sone Aluko gets in behind Husband, playing the ball against the forward’s shins to win a throw.
50 – Gunter’s poor back-pass plays Murphy into the box but with no support, he tries to thread a ball through to Hoolahan only for Moore to clear.
52 – Nice one-two with Husband allows the left-back to force a corner, which Maddison whips in and Jerome heads home at the back post for a 2-1 lead.
58 – Goes down near halfway off the ball and limps off with what looks to be a hamstring strain. Replaced by Marley Watkins.
Verdict: After being publicly told off by Daniel Farke for an unprofessional attitude and left out of the midweek win at Middlesbrough, Murphy showed plenty of willing and spirit as he tried to prove he remains a key part of the German’s team. The 22-year-old snatched at some opportunities on an evening of few clear-cut chances for the visitors but looked bright before limping off.
Rating: 6.5 out of 10