Reading U23s 2 Norwich City U23s 2: Todd Cantwell strikes late to salvage a Premier League Two point
- Credit: Andy Kearns/Focus Images Limited
Todd Cantwell kept his cool to slot a late penalty at 10-man Reading on Monday afternoon, to stretch the Canaries’ unbeaten run to three games in Premier League Two.
Matt Gill’s side were heading for a defeat, following Sam Smith’s brace for the Royals, but Savvas Mourgos rifled hom a free kick prior to the break to cut the deficit and Cantwell levelled from the spot a minute from time after a foul on Glenn Middleton.
Russell Martin was again on duty for the development squad, playing 90 minutes as he stepped up his comeback from a course of injections that saw him miss three days of training last week.
Gill made just one change from last Sunday’s Carrow Road league draw with Blackburn Rovers’ U23s - Aston Oxborough replaced Paul Jones in goal.
Smith rose highest in the penalty area to nod past Oxborough inside the opening five minutes. Pierre Fonkeu almost set up Cantwell to equalise before Smith doubled the home side’s advantage, but Mourgos hit back for the young Canaries when he clipped a free-kick past George Legg.
You may also want to watch:
Mourgos went close to an equaliser on the hour mark, again from a set-piece. Middleton was introduced for the final quarter and unleashed two long-range efforts before he was upended by Axel Andresson inside the Reading penalty box, who picked up a second yellow card. Cantwell made no mistake from the spot.
• Reading U23: Legg, Holmes, Medford-Smith, Osho, Andresson, East, Sheppard, Frost, Barrett (House 74), Loader (Holsgrove 74), Smith. Subs (not used): Driscoll, Howe, Shokunbi.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 2 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 6 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 7 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 8 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 9 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 10 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
• Goals: Smith (3, 29)
• Norwich City U23: Oxborough, Sambu, Aarons, Phillips, Martin, Odusina, Cantwell, Mourgos, Abrahams, Fonkeu (Higgs 64), Aransibia (Middleton 54). Subs (not used): Hallett, Wallis, Payne.
• Goals: Mourgos (43), Cantwell (89)