Reading U23s 2 Norwich City U23s 2: Todd Cantwell strikes late to salvage a Premier League Two point
- Credit: Andy Kearns/Focus Images Limited
Todd Cantwell kept his cool to slot a late penalty at 10-man Reading on Monday afternoon, to stretch the Canaries’ unbeaten run to three games in Premier League Two.
Matt Gill’s side were heading for a defeat, following Sam Smith’s brace for the Royals, but Savvas Mourgos rifled hom a free kick prior to the break to cut the deficit and Cantwell levelled from the spot a minute from time after a foul on Glenn Middleton.
Russell Martin was again on duty for the development squad, playing 90 minutes as he stepped up his comeback from a course of injections that saw him miss three days of training last week.
Gill made just one change from last Sunday’s Carrow Road league draw with Blackburn Rovers’ U23s - Aston Oxborough replaced Paul Jones in goal.
Smith rose highest in the penalty area to nod past Oxborough inside the opening five minutes. Pierre Fonkeu almost set up Cantwell to equalise before Smith doubled the home side’s advantage, but Mourgos hit back for the young Canaries when he clipped a free-kick past George Legg.
You may also want to watch:
Mourgos went close to an equaliser on the hour mark, again from a set-piece. Middleton was introduced for the final quarter and unleashed two long-range efforts before he was upended by Axel Andresson inside the Reading penalty box, who picked up a second yellow card. Cantwell made no mistake from the spot.
• Reading U23: Legg, Holmes, Medford-Smith, Osho, Andresson, East, Sheppard, Frost, Barrett (House 74), Loader (Holsgrove 74), Smith. Subs (not used): Driscoll, Howe, Shokunbi.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 5 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 6 February fixture changes for Canaries
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 10 Morris hopes to have found a 'home' after leaving Norwich City for Barnsley
• Goals: Smith (3, 29)
• Norwich City U23: Oxborough, Sambu, Aarons, Phillips, Martin, Odusina, Cantwell, Mourgos, Abrahams, Fonkeu (Higgs 64), Aransibia (Middleton 54). Subs (not used): Hallett, Wallis, Payne.
• Goals: Mourgos (43), Cantwell (89)