Grimsby give Canaries’ FA Youth Cup winner another Football League chance
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
One of Norwich City’s 2013 FA Youth Cup winners has been handed another Football League chance by Grimsby Town.
Reece Hall-Johnson made one senior appearance for City having signed professional terms after that Youth Cup success, coming on in the 65th minute of a 3-1 win over Crawley in the League Cup at Carrow Road in August 2014.
The attacking right-back was released in 2016 and played in the National League with Maidstone as well as in the Southern Premier Division for Bishop’s Stortford last season, earning a move to Braintree and scoring five goals in 25 games for the Essex club.
The 22-year-old has been on trial with Grimsby since September and has now signed a one-year deal, joining former City academy colleagues Sam Kelly and Ben Killip at the League Two club.
Former Norwich U21s boss Paul Wilkinson is assistant to manager Russell Slade at the League Two club, who also have Canaries youngster Diallang Jaiyesimi on loan.
“I know Wilko, I was at Norwich a few seasons back and he was my manager there and I worked really well underneath him, so he was a big part in me coming here,” Hall-Johnson told his new club’s website.
You may also want to watch:
Talking about his history with Kelly, he added: “We grew up together, me and Sam, we were at Norwich City together and we travelled together as schoolboys and as kids so it’s nice to be back with him.”
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 6 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 7 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
- 8 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move