Referee and VAR officials announced for City’s Premier League opener at Liverpool
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Michael Oliver will be the man in the middle at Anfield on Friday night, as Norwich City return to Premier League battle against Liverpool, when VAR will feature for the first time.
Oliver is one of England's top officials and took charge of the FA Cup final in 2018 and is a member of the Uefa elite group of referees, taking charge of Champions League games regularly in recent seasons.
The Northumberland official hasn't been in charge of a Norwich game since April 2016 though, a 1-0 top-flight defeat at Crystal Palace in which he booked Timm Klose for a challenge which left him injured - with the knee problem ending the defender's season early.
Andre Marriner will be the video assistant referee (VAR) communicating with Oliver to check for 'clear and obvious' errors in the four key areas of goals scores, penalty kicks, straight red card offences and mistake identity. The game will be the first official VAR fixture in the Premier League, after trials last season.
- Liverpool v Norwich City officials
You may also want to watch:
Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett
- 1 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 2 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 3 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 4 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 5 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 6 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 9 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round
- 10 Norwich City Debate Recap: Academy prospects to fill in, loan break clauses and Drmic all discussed
Fourth official: Graham Scott
VAR: Andre Marriner
Assistant VAR: Scott Ledger