Referee and VAR officials announced for City’s Premier League opener at Liverpool
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Michael Oliver will be the man in the middle at Anfield on Friday night, as Norwich City return to Premier League battle against Liverpool, when VAR will feature for the first time.
Oliver is one of England's top officials and took charge of the FA Cup final in 2018 and is a member of the Uefa elite group of referees, taking charge of Champions League games regularly in recent seasons.
The Northumberland official hasn't been in charge of a Norwich game since April 2016 though, a 1-0 top-flight defeat at Crystal Palace in which he booked Timm Klose for a challenge which left him injured - with the knee problem ending the defender's season early.
Andre Marriner will be the video assistant referee (VAR) communicating with Oliver to check for 'clear and obvious' errors in the four key areas of goals scores, penalty kicks, straight red card offences and mistake identity. The game will be the first official VAR fixture in the Premier League, after trials last season.
- Liverpool v Norwich City officials
You may also want to watch:
Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett
- 1 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 2 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 4 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 5 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 8 'I rate him. He's a fantastic player' - Farke open to Skipp return
- 9 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 10 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
Fourth official: Graham Scott
VAR: Andre Marriner
Assistant VAR: Scott Ledger