Referee and VAR officials announced for City’s Premier League opener at Liverpool
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Michael Oliver will be the man in the middle at Anfield on Friday night, as Norwich City return to Premier League battle against Liverpool, when VAR will feature for the first time.
Oliver is one of England's top officials and took charge of the FA Cup final in 2018 and is a member of the Uefa elite group of referees, taking charge of Champions League games regularly in recent seasons.
The Northumberland official hasn't been in charge of a Norwich game since April 2016 though, a 1-0 top-flight defeat at Crystal Palace in which he booked Timm Klose for a challenge which left him injured - with the knee problem ending the defender's season early.
Andre Marriner will be the video assistant referee (VAR) communicating with Oliver to check for 'clear and obvious' errors in the four key areas of goals scores, penalty kicks, straight red card offences and mistake identity. The game will be the first official VAR fixture in the Premier League, after trials last season.
- Liverpool v Norwich City officials
You may also want to watch:
Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett
- 1 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 2 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 5 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 6 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 7 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 8 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
- 9 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
Fourth official: Graham Scott
VAR: Andre Marriner
Assistant VAR: Scott Ledger