Ridgeons League Division One match reports

A round-up of this weekend's action in the Ridgeons League Division One.


by Tony Collins

Both sides had attempts at goal in the third minute.

Luke Catchpole saw his shot cleared off the line by Kevin Whittred and the Ghosts broke quickly with Mark Critten hitting a shot which forced Matty Hill into a diving save.

Diss had a good chance to take the lead in the 32nd minute but Danny Jones was high with his shot from eight yards out after Steve Wright headed down a Catchpole cross.

Diss took the lead in the 43rd minute when Wright crossed from the right for Catchpole to head across goal and Andy Moody turned the ball in from three yards out.

Most Read

t Half-time: Diss 1, Fakenham 0

Diss had the early attacking in the second half with Jason Cole being forced to clear a deflected Andy Moody shot off the line.

Diss made it 2-0 in the 59th minute when Danny Partridge moved on to a fine through ball and shot in from 15 yards out.

The Tangerines went further ahead in the 65th minute following a patient move down their left wing.

Catchpole moved into the penalty area and crossed low for Ben Soanes to shoot in from seven yards out.

Diss: Hill, Shadrack, Cussons, J Wilson, Best, Jones, Moody, Catchpole, Partridge, Soanes, Wright. Subs: Deacon, G Wilson, Jenkinson, Fowler.

Fakenham: Stockdale, Fenwick, Tagg, Whittred, Day, Bamford, Haynes, Betts, Pask, Critten, Cole. Subs: Woodhouse, Hooks, King.

Referee: James Smith (Ipswich).


by Mike Fields

Thetford started the game brightly but Downham had the first shot in anger when a Coe free kick came back off the bar after six minutes.

Town showed one change to their team, with new signing Browne coming in for the departing Jones.

Terry was the Thetford saviour on 14 minutes when he spectacularly tipped over a deflected Anderson header.

Stalemate was broken three minutes later when Thetford captain Skipp's shot was only parried to the waiting Bryant who calmly slotted home.

Lee Devlin on 30 minutes threatened to increase the lead but the keeper held on. The rest of the half was played out mainly in the Downham half.

Thetford dominated second half proceedings with Browne, the son of ex Thetford stalwart Adrian, looking particularly threatening up front on his debut.

His shot from near the penalty spot almost doubled the lead and a heavy challenge soon afterwards resulted in both him and the Downham keeper receiving lengthy treatment.

It was Browne on 55 minutes who broke the offside trap down the left and curled an unstoppable shot into the top right corner.

Ten minutes later Browne scored his second. A good run from Bryant resulted in the ball falling for Browne to slot home.

Thetford finished this derby game as they started, threatening the Downham goal and getting the win recent displays have warranted.