Ridgeons League round-up

Match reports from this weekend's games in the Ridgeons Premier and Division One.


t Leiston 0, Dereham Town 1

by R�ne Kendal

Dereham were without Adam Smith (unavailable) and Paul Atkins (suspended) at Victory Road where Adam Gusterson and Sam Willis returned to Matty Henman's starting line-up.

With one goal the Magpies claimed the win in this clash of teams in the top five.

In the opening minutes the ball was delivered three times across the face of the home area before play switched ends, with McGlone cutting in from the left and firing wide.

Most Read

Magpies' striker Mowbray was cautioned for a late challenge on Leiston keeper Stannard. As the lively start continued, Leiston's Goldfinch headed wide following Boardley's cross from the left.

In the 10th minute Beaumont ran at the home defence, rounding Stannard, but the ball travelled out of play.

Dereham keeper Higgs was forced into a smart, low save after Boardley had worked his way deep into the Magpies' box.

In the 26th minute Terrington released Beaumont from inside the home half. He looked to have space to lift the ball over the advancing keeper, but the striker shot straight at Stannard and the opportunity went begging.

Dereham defender Williams, who was winning the aerial battle, upended McGlone 25 yards out. However, Boardley drilled a weak free-kick into Higgs' arms. Dereham had the better chances in the first half, which finished goalless.

Half-time: Leiston 0, Dereham Town 0

After an even start to the second period, Leiston full-back Girling struck a scorching 30-yard drive that Higgs diverted to safety.

Dereham defender Olly Willis then travelled down the right flank before beating two defenders in the box, but his left-footer did not contain enough power to beat Stannard.

In the 61st minute Boardley fired over Higgs' crossbar as the opening goal continued to remain elusive.

After Howell replaced Terrington for the visitors, Sam Willis found Gusterson with a brilliant ball on the right, but the midfielder's centre was claimed by Stannard.

As the teams began to tire play became scrappy. In the 76th minute Wardley sliced a 20-yarder way off target with his unfavoured right foot.

In the 79th minute Dereham won a throw-in in an advanced position on the right flank.

Buhlemann's throw reached Gusterson whose short pass was cleared only as far as SAM WILLIS on the edge of the Leiston box. The midfielder curled a delightful left-footer beyond Stannard's reach and into the right-hand corner of the net to put the Magpies in front.

In the 89th minute McGlone blazed over the top when well-placed as Leiston pressed for the equaliser, but with Williams and Eastoe-Smith outstanding at the heart of the visitors' defence it was Dereham who gained a deserved three points.

Leiston: J Stannard, B Girling, S Wardley, J Button, M Goldfinch, M Lowe, K Trotter, S Boardley, J Chennery, L McGlone, C Sillett. Subs: M Brothers, B Saker, L Eagle, C Palmer, A Wagner.

Dereham Town: J Higgs, O Willis, D Buhlemann, J Eastoe-Smith, S Williams, D Beaumont, S Willis, A Gusterson, S Mowbray, T Barrett, C Terrington. Subs: N Howell, J Brien, J Hadley, N Simmonds.

Referee: Mr J Lodge

t Kirkley & Pakefield 1, Needham Market 0

by Stuart G Baker

Kirkley & Pakefield pre-match announced their new management structure for next season with Stewart Larter and Jon Reynolds taking over the reins. They will report to the new director of adult football Nick Shorton

No quarter was given by either side in the quest for the first goal. Lewis Blois and Scott Manning were combining well down the left for Kirkley, while for Needham, Phillips found an inch of space but stumbled as he shot. A Needham attack directed in midfield by Thrower was ended on the edge of the box with a timely interception by Lewis Blois. A good cross by Boiland just eluded Needham's Dixon on 23 minutes.

A 40-yard raking pass by K&P's Adam Sivell set Stone goal-bound and he launched a speculative high shot on the run from 35 yards that just failed to find the target.

Stone went one better on 29 minutes with a golden opening goal. Henderson sent the Kirkley striker free down the left and he cut inside to unleash a brilliant curling shot into the far corner of the Needham net.

Needham Market tried hard but were restricted to long shots by some good closing-down work by Jefford and Cole.

Half-time: Kirkley & Pakefield 1 Needham Market 0

Needham attacked in numbers, winning numerous free-kicks and having a penalty claim turned down. For Kirkley, Stone was inches from a second goal on 58 minutes when a powerful drive was tipped onto the underside of the crossbar by keeper Liam Jones. It rebounded to safety.

After being booked, Needham's Rhys Barber headed a Liam Harvey-Cooper free-kick off the line. Danny Phillips for Needham made space but shot five yards wide on 69 minutes, then Stone hit the side netting.

Kirkley & Pakefield: R Woodcock, R De-Coteau, L Blois, J Jefford, J Cole, A Sivell, S Manning, R Horton, N Stone, L Harvey-Cooper, C Henderson. Subs: J Blyth, D Tacon, M Taunton, J Newrick.

Needham Market: L Jones, L Pemberton, K Horlock, J Dennis, R Butler, R Barber, P Boyland, T Smith, D Phillips, M Dixon, D Thrower. Subs: M Bailey, J Sparkes, T Agricole, C Parker, J Evans.Referee: Adrian Sannerude.

t Woodbridge 3, Wroxham 0

by Roy Webster

Without four suspended players and one injured, Wroxham had to cobble together a side, which gave them a chance of field-testing some promising youngsters.

Although they dominated the first period from almost start to finish, they failed to find the net, while Woodbridge tested the Yachtsmen's keeper just once.

McCabe twice lofted over the bar, as did Howes. Wroxham won successive corners but Harley's header was clutched easily by home keeper Rose.

Woodbridge's sole came from Brimstead whose long cross from the right sailed too close to McAnally, who fielded easily.

Wroxham's best chance so far came a minute before the break when Self set up Danny White who, only 10 yards out, cleared the bar with only the keeper to beat.

Half-time: Woodbridge 0, Wroxham 0

In the 49th minute they allowed the home side to break the deadlock.

Snell put in a mazy run down the centre of the field and Aaron Churchyard received the ball to beat McAnally.

Wroxham attempted to get back and a Harley cross from the left was met by an over-stretched Self, whose effort was prodded past the post.

The young Yachtsmen who had been brought in found the higher pace of Ridgeons League football too much and they never really adjusted.

Woodbridge nearly bagged a second goal when Driver was allowed a free shot, but shot yards wide.

Woodbridge went two up in the 70th minute when Lewis DRIVER latched onto the ball outside the 18-yard box and delivered a perfect lob over the keeper.

Wroxham now were a well beaten side and conceded a third goal, netted by Jordan SEAMAN, who won the area battle on the edge of the six-yard box.

Woodbridge: Rose, Sergeant, Kempson, Churchyard, Miller, Pratt, Brinstead, Confer, Driver, Snell, B Seaman. Substitutes: Smythe, Trivivian, J Seaman, Beal.

Wroxham: McAnally, Pauling, Howes, Challen, Carus, Self, McCabe, White, Harley, Halliday, Bensley. Substitutes: Snowling, Cook.

t CRC 2, Norwich Utd 1

by Norman Bygrave

CRC were the first to show and Neil Dugdale and Warren Preston had to combine well to deny Adam Marriott a shooting opportunity.

Two minutes later United's Nathan Thompson latched onto a rebound but his 25-yard shot flew wide. In the 11th minute Nathan Page's cross was deflected to Gavin Frost who pulled his shot wide. Keith Hetherington's shot from distance was comfortably saved by CRC keeper Jack Parr.

CRC took the lead in the 21st minute when John Yambasu took the ball to the by-line and pulled it back for Marriott to turn home from close range.

Five minutes later Josh Hull denied Yambasu after Jordan Patrick had cut back from the right.

In the 34th minute Marriott's chip floated just over the bar. A minute later Thompson's cross was laid back by Hetherington into the path of Page whose shot was deflected for a United corner. In the 37th minute Tom Jeal's long-range shot was well tipped over by Parr.

A minute later Patrick cut inside from the right and United's Nathan Pauling did well to save low down.

Pauling was again in the thick of it in the 41st minute, beating away Marriott's shot and then getting quickly back to his feet to block Sam Ives' follow-up shot.

Half-time: Norwich United 0, CRC 1

The Planters started the second half strongly and substitute Lee Howlett's free-kick to the far post just eluded Craig Roberts.

The Planters were level two minutes later when Page released Thompson down the righ with a delightful ball. Thompson squared from the by-line and HETHERINGTON hit home between the keeper's legs from close range.

A minute later, Page jinked into the box and released Ryan Haynes whose shot was well saved at the near post by Parr.

On the hour, Page did well to win the ball from Haynes's cross and got a shot in, which was blocked, and fell to Thompson, who pulled his shot wide of the post.

In the 76th minute, Marriott's shot from an acute angle was pushed behind by Pauling who four minutes from time blocked another shot by Marriott.

In the 90th minute, CRC regained the lead when Patrick's cross from the right was turned home by MARRIOTT.

The Planters thought they had an equaliser when Preston crossed and Frost's header was blocked by Parr's legs before being scrambled.

Norwich Utd: N Pauling, J Hull, N Bugdale, G Frost, C Roberts, W Preston, N Page, T Jeal, K Hetherington, N Thompson, R Haynes. Subs: S Shipley, L Howlett, A Ferguson, S Bammant, M Magee.

CRC: J Parr, R McAuley, D Coakley, B Hudson, L Carr, M Convery, J Patrick, L Berry, J Yambasu, A Marriott, S Ives. Subs: L Hipwell, J Eades, L Hughes, S Parkinson, S Beagle. Referee: Mr A Tyne.


t Stowmarket 2, Thetford 0

by Mike Fields

Thetford gave a full debut to 16-year-old Aaron Burt at Green's Meadow. He replaced captain Skipp. The young full-back showed plenty of promise with two long-range efforts. His first flew high but his second effort went inches wide with the home keeper looking well beaten.

After 11 minutes Stowmarket took the lead. The ball fell nicely to Phil Deller and his low effort from just outside the area found the corner of the net.

Stowmarket were on a good run of results but Thetford were enjoying good possession against physical opponents.

After 30 minutes Stowmarket scored their second when Thetford never quite managed to clear a free-kick and Canfer stretched to place the ball into the net.

Straight after Bryant pulled the ball back for Browne whose side-footed effort was just too high.

Cracknell and Pleasance subsequently hit the woodwork for Stowmarket and Thetford went in at half time with a lot to do in the second half.

Half-time: Stowmarket 2, Thetford 0

Skipp replaced the injured Money early in the second half and Thetford enjoyed a lot of early pressure. Home keeper Charters made a vital save from a close-range Browne header. Webb also had a header straight at the keeper and Skipp scuffed a shot.

A long clearance by keeper Belham bounced kindly for Bryant on 69 minutes but he was unable to make the most of it.

After 77 minutes Thetford thought they had scored through a Jiacomelli header, but the referee saw a push in a packed penalty area and ruled the effort out.

Thetford had the better of the second half and battled to the end, but could not unlock the Stowmarket defence.

Thetford: Bilham, Brewer, Burt (Atterton, 76 minutes), Jiacomelli, Money (Skipp, 50 minutes), Richards, Mann, Webb, Browne, Clayton (Tanti, 76 minutes), Bryant. Subs not used: Terry.