Ridgeons League round-up

While fierce neighbours Lowestoft Town were slipping out of the FA Vase at Crown Meadow, Kirkley & Pakefield were celebrating a return to winning ways.

While fierce neighbours Lowestoft Town were slipping out of the FA Vase at Crown Meadow, Kirkley & Pakefield were celebrating a return to winning ways.

Walmer Road saw a 3-2 win over Tiptree United thanks to a Chris Henderson brace, after Nathan Stone opened the scoring on three minutes.

Defender Joe Jefford shinned into his own net to level things up, before Ian Dawson created Henderson's first, but Tiptree drew level again before the break, this time Steve Wareham arriving unmarked for a simple goal.

But it was Henderson who secured all three Premier Division points with just three minutes remaining thanks to good work from Justin Fox.

You may also want to watch:

Kirkley are now level on points with Wroxham, after the Yachtsmen lost 3-1 at Stanway Rovers. After a goalless first period, two goals inside a minute sparked the game to life. Stanway's Sam Newson buried a long through-ball to score via a deflection on 63 minutes.

Although Josh Carus soon equalised, Newson netted a second from the penalty spot with 15 minutes remaining having being brought down by Duncan McAnalley, and he duly completed his hat-trick five minutes later.

Most Read

Wisbech pulled clear of the division's drop zone with a valuable win at Norwich United.

The Fenmen took the lead early in the second half, Darren Jimson with a delicate chip, but the Planters were back on terms with 10 minutes remaining thanks to substitute Shaun Bammant. However, United's joy was short-lived after Adam Ferguson was adjudged to have brought down Stuart King, and Scott Cubberley did the business from the spot.

King's Lynn Reserves picked up a 1-0 home win over bottom place Haverhill Rovers, but the visitors were unlucky not to get at least a point. First half stoppage time saw Charlie Defty head home a free-kick from close range to give Lynn a lead they deserved for their possession, but Haverhill were more of a threat in the second half and Lynn were twice saved by the bar and once by keeper Ally McAnally's legs.

In Division One, the result of the day saw bottom side Fakenham Town pick up an excellent point at fourth place FC Clacton, Karl Pask with the Ghosts' strike.

Diss won 1-0 at Brantham. Substitute Ben Soanes had already seen his second half penalty saved before he created George Wilson's close-range winner. Moments later Wilson was dismissed after swearing at James Horsfall and keeper Matty Hill proved the hero, saving Oliver Mann's late penalty.

Yarmouth Town could only muster a goalless draw at home to Cornard, while Gorleston shared four goals with third-placed Halstead, but struggling Swaffham suffered a 2-1 home defeat to leaders Newmarket Town.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus