Ridgeons League round-up

Needham Market 0, Lowestoft Town 5; Dereham Town 5, Ely 2; Debenham LC 2, Diss Town 3; Fakenham 1, March 1; Wroxham 6, Walsham le Willows 1.

Needham Market 0, Lowestoft Town 5

FA Vase finalists Lowestoft produced a result to make the rest of the Ridgeons League sit up when they ended the 100pc record of last season's Premier Division runners-up in emphatic style. They dominated from the start but had to wait until two minutes from the interval to go in front when Needham keeper Smith misjudged a Marsden centre and parried into his net. In the second half it became a rout with two goals from Gary McGee and one each from Ross King and Russell Stock.

t Dereham Town 5, Ely 2

Dereham went nap against Ely, with the first goal arriving in the 28th minute when Danny Beaumont lifted the ball over the keeper. The Magpies soon increased their lead when Simon Mowbray charged down the keeper's poor clearance and fired home his fourth goal of the season. Ely pulled a goal back in the 60th minute with full back Lee Dixon heading home but Dereham immediately restored their two-goal cushion when Craig Terrington gleefully slotted home. Magpies won a corner in the 65th minute and Terrington's flag-kick came out to Beaumont who nearly broke the net with a blistering 20-yard left foot drive. Minutes later Adam Smith scored Dereham's fifth. Nicky Howell picked up a clearance from a corner and found Beaumont on the right whose cross reached the midfielder, allowing him to net from just inside the box. Ely reduced the deficit in the 76th minute when Simon Warren headed home.

You may also want to watch:

t Debenham LC 2, Diss Town 3

Diss ended their poor start to the season by winning with a controversial late penalty converted by Adie Hayes. The game exploded into action on the half hour mark with three goals in as many minutes. Lawrence converted a penalty to give the visitors the lead only for Jopling to equalise. But Gomes restored Diss' advantage with a cracking effort. Jopling again equalised for Debenham 15 minutes into the second period.

Most Read

t Fakenham 1, March 1

Fakenham earned their first point of the season. They led through a 20th minute penalty converted by Ben Darby after a foul on Mark Betts.

But March equalised just before half- time through Luke Pepper's speculative shot from distance.

A second half Fakenham header came back off the underside of the bar as the Ghosts did enough to deserve a win.

t Wroxham 6, Walsham le Willows 1

Gavin Crane netted his first hat-trick in a Wroxham shirt. He opened the scoring in the fifth minute and scored two more late in the second period. The Yachtsmen's other marksmen were Andy Key, with a brace, and Paul Cook.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus