Ridgeons round-up

Match reports from this weekend's matches in both the Ridgeons League Premier Division and Division One.



by Norman Bygrave

The Planters included Craig Roberts who returned from suspension and Bradley Hoffman replaced Nathan Page in the starting line-up. Leiston attacked and Michael Brothers' cross was headed over by Judd Chenery.

The Planters' first chance when Shaun Bammant fed Hoffman down the left and his cross drifted just beyond Keith Hetherington. In the 13th minute Martyn Magee found Hoffman wide on the left, the winger took the ball forward before cutting inside and sending a shot just wide.

Steve Shipley's cross caused problems for the home defence and drifted just wide of the far post with no-one getting a touch. Straight away at the other end James Rowe shot over from the edge of the area and two minutes later Planter's goalkeeper Nathan Pauling had to come out quickly to beat Rowe to a long through ball.

Most Read

Rowe was released into the area and his cross shot flashed wide. Leiston were beginning to dominate possession and a Chenery header from a cross forced a good save from Pauling. Rowe's cross from the left was lifted over the bar by Chenery from six yards out. Marc Lowe shot wide from the edge of the area and as the half came to a close a Chenery shot trickled through to Pauling.

Half-time: Leiston 0, Norwich Utd 0

Gavin Frost and McGee combined well to release Lee Howlett who cut back to Frost and his ball into the area floated just wide of the far post. Three minutes later and Pauling had to punch clear as Chris Sillett closed in.

On the hour mark Pauling had to save well again diving low down to deny Stuart Boardley's strong drive.

Leiston took the lead in the 66th minute when ROWE latched onto a long ball forward, took the ball into the area and passed Pauling to net.

The Planters equalised in the 80th minute. Adam Ferguson's cross was only half cleared as far as Howlett who played the ball back into the danger zone and HETHERINGTON touched beyond the keeper Jamie Stannard.

Two minutes later Rowe shot across the face of goal and past the far post and in the 85th minute Chenery's near-post flick was punched clear.

Result: Leiston 1, Norwich Utd 1

Leiston: J Stannard, B Girling, S Wardley, J Button, M Goldfinch, M Lowe, M Brothers, S Boardley, J Chenery, J Rowe, C Sillett. Subs: B Saker, K Trotter, L Eagle, I Smith, A Wagner.

Norwich United: N Pauling, S Shipley, A Ferguson, G Frost, C Roberts, W Preston, B Hoffman, M Magee, S Bammant, K Hetherington, L Howlett. Subs: N Page, T Jeal, J Hull. Ref: M Bampton.


by Roy Webster

A VICTORY over lowly Woodbridge would ensure at least fourth place in the table for Wroxham but they needed to win by five clear goals to go third above their next Tuesday night's Norfolk Senior Cup semi-final opponents Dereham Town. However, the Suffolk side put up stubborn resistance during the first period and it wasn't until two minutes before the break that the Yachtsmen converted their superiority into a 2-1 lead.

The Trafford Park outfit started without suspended Andy Key but they managed to control the midfield with DANNY WHITE outstanding to score both his team's goals. He netted his first in the fifth minute when visiting keeper Beal dropped the ball and Wroxham's needle-sharp midfielder pounced to score.

After that it was end-to-end football with both teams keeping the ball on the surface that had recovered superbly from the winter weather.

Woodbridge equalised on 30 minutes with a corner that Wroxham failed to clear which left GLENN SNELL on the edge of the box from where he delivered a tremendous left-footer.

Wroxham then pressed down the pedal and accelerated continuously into the danger area and secured the lead in the 43rd minute when Woodbridge half-cleared a free-kick.

Howes regained possession and delivered a low cross that was met by WHITE whose flick looped over the keeper into the top right-hand corner.

Half-time: Wroxham 2, Woodbridge 1

Wroxham established their superiority and put the result beyond doubt with two brilliant second half goals, both of them netted by the mercurial Gary Gilmore.

His first came in the 52nd minute when Cook weaved his magic to set up GILMORE with a free shot past the keeper and on the 75th minute sub Harley came on to set up GILMORE for a left-footed 25-yard blockbuster.

An own goal by Josh Carus three minutes before the end made little difference to the league table where Wroxham now occupy fourth spot.

Result: Wroxham 4, Woodbridge 2

Wroxham: Mcanally, Self, Howes, Challen, Carus, Gilmore, Wines, Lemmon, Cook, White, Woanes. Subs: Harley, Latimer, Hyde, Halliday.

Woodbridge Town: Beale, Smythe, Miller, Sargeant, Stuart, Pratt, Read, Churchyard, Hart, Snell, Kempson. Subs: Brimstead, J Seaman, Severy, B Seaman. Ref: J Turner.



by Gerry Brown

IN a lively opening in Yarmouth's first match for weeks both teams had good early shots. Yarmouth's Reed saw his shot blocked in the six-yard box in two minutes and after five minutes Pepper's shot on the turn was saved by Hilton at the second attempt.

Bloaters took the lead after 12 minutes. An astute pass by Reed released Woodcock and his pin-point cross was superbly headed home by SEWELL.

Yarmouth then enjoyed a purple patch when Reed saw another effort skip narrowly wide and Reed again had bad luck with a 20-yard effort finger-tipped over by Anker.

After 22 minutes the visitors equalised. The Yarmouth defence hesitated waiting for a foul that was not given and PEPPER stole in to score.

Yarmouth regained the lead after half an hour through livewire Woodcock. Smith's pass from midfield was taken by WOODCOCK into the box and he stroked the ball past Anker.

Darby robbed Brand and then from a Yarmouth free-kick Anker picked up Smith's cross by the post. Yarmouth were awarded a free-kick for a foul on Smith and Woodcock's chip just over.

Half-time: Yarmouth 2, March 1

Yarmouth were 3-1 up after 50 minutes when ROACH back heeled Reed's cross beyond Anker and into the net.

Yarmouth further increased their lead in the 67th minute from the penalty spot, Savage played a neat ball down to Reed on the right and when his cross came into the box Roach was fouled, WOODCOCK netting.

Spiby cleared off his own line as Reed beat Anker and centred. Late on March's Brand hit a shot wide.

Result: Yarmouth 4, March 1

Great Yarmouth: M Hilton, J Watt, O Savage, G Palmer, A Ager, A Darby, D Smith, A Sewell, S Roach, J Reed, S Woodcock. Subs: T Gorbould, C Squire, M Thompson, E Pride.

March: C Anker, S Boguzs, C Norman, H Roe, A Spibey, M Anker, S Murphy, L White, A Brand, L Pepper, A Wayte. Subs: J Barnes, C Westley, J Richardson. Ref: N Jacques from Gorleston.