Roberts' brace earns Bloaters victory
Great Yarmouth Town 2, Godmanchester Rovers 1Great Yarmouth kept their promotion challenge on track with a hard-fought victory against battling Godmanchester Rovers.
Great Yarmouth Town 2, Godmanchester Rovers 1
Great Yarmouth kept their promotion challenge on track with a hard-fought victory against battling Godmanchester Rovers.
The first half was a case of Yarmouth enjoying the vast majority of possession but not creating the clear-cut chances their play deserved.
Yarmouth's missed chances were punished on 38 minutes when a long-range free-kick caught everyone unawares, the ball struck the crossbar and only one player on the pitch had the foresight to follow up - a Godmanchester Rovers player who shot past Michael Hilton.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Tong made a treble substitution on the hour mark. Off came Magee, Fell and Norman and on came Woodcock, Vide and Smith. Yarmouth continued to press with growing urgency and with ten minutes to go the Huntingdon side were still holding on and were repelling everything Yarmouth could throw at them.
On 81 minutes the crowd were buoyed as finally one of Yarmouth's chances was taken and goal-scoring Craig Roberts came up with the goods once more, bundling in from close range.
- 1 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 2 MATCHDAY LIVE: Can Norwich City complete the double over Cardiff?
- 3 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 4 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 6 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 Connor Southwell: Can McLean solve City’s number 10 conundrum?
Then, in the 87th minute Yarmouth managed to secure all three points.
One of Adam Sewell's trademark throw-ins was launched into the box and Roberts again got the telling touch, leading to scenes of jubilation amongst the players and management staff.
After finally getting their noses in front there was still six minutes of injury time to play but thanks for Hilton's late save the Bloaters held on to further consolidate their position in the top three.