Roberts expects City spell to provide different challenge to his Celtic success
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Loan star Patrick Roberts is well aware that playing for Norwich City in the Premier League will be a very different challenge to his success with dominant Scottish champions Celtic.
The Manchester City winger won three Scottish Premiership titles during his time with the Bhoys but knows the defensive demands of playing for a promoted club in the English top flight will be considerable for Daniel Farke's attacking aces.
"It's a completely different task but still the same mentality, to keep working hard and do the same things," Roberts said, after having a hand in all four goals before scoring himself to complete a 5-1 friendly win at Luton.
"Up there it's a bit different, obviously there are teams who will sit back and you have more attacking, so you can get frustrated when you can't score.
"But here you have to be patient and not rush it, not be naïve or daft, wait for your time on the counter-attacks, carry on playing the way Norwich did all last season, carry that through.
"If we can do that then I'm sure it can be a good season and the manager will instil that every day in training."
You may also want to watch:
The 22-year-old has only made one league appearance for his parent club but did make two substitute appearances in the Premier League for former club Fulham when he was just 17.
So Roberts is fired up for the challenge with City, saying: "I just love what I do, love playing football, so as long as I get the opportunity to play and show what I can do - especially for this team - is all I can ask.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 10 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
"I'm sure the other lads, the other young lads as well, will have the same mentality, to show that they can compete in the Premier League. If you can do that, you can stay there for a while and obviously that's the aim for Norwich, to stay in the Premier League."
Roberts could make his Carrow Road debut when the Canaries face Italian side Atalanta in a friendly tonight (7pm).
"I'm looking forward to it," he added. "My first test in a Norwich shirt at Carrow Road will obviously be exciting, especially with the players being back for the first time since last season.
"For me as a new player coming in it will be exciting to see the fans and it will be a tough test as well, so we'll be well prepared for that."