Rout’s goal seals fab win
Norwich City Reserves 0, Wymondham Ladies 1
Wymondham travelled to Plantation Park to play Norwich Reserves, who play in the league above them and came away with a 1-0 win after an impressive team performance, following on from last weeks’ 1-1 draw with Hethersett.
Wymondham started brightly but it was Norwich who were controlling the pace of the game for the first 15 minutes, but Wymondham carried out their defensive duties seamlessly.
Wymondham started to relax, which allowed them to start passing the ball around and build some attacks. This style of football started to unlock some of Norwich’s locks which enabled some good through balls to be played through, but to no avail.
Wymondham’s only real chance of the half fell to Gemma Hamilton after a goal-mouth scramble, but the ball went just over the bar. Down the left hand side of the pitch, Mez, Louise and Georgie were combining well, but there was no real finishing product. Half time 0-0.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham started the second half as they ended the first, playing football which was easy on the eye and this made a couple of chances for Georgie, who was linking well with Helen, but Norwich’s defence were too quick to cut it out.
A further chance fell to Gemma after a fantastic Louise corner, but her attempt was blocked and cleared. Emma Williams was bossing the defence, and was having a very good game in the centre of defence, determined not to let a goal in.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 2 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 3 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 4 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 6 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 7 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 8 Watford wanted to stop promoted City enjoying 'showcase game'
- 9 'We want to top this season off properly' - Krul's message to fans
- 10 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
If Wymondham were going to score, you would have said it would have been from the lively Georgie, Louise or the attacking Mez as something happened every time they attacked together. And sure enough, mid way through the half, Louise, Georgie and the overlapping Mez linked well again, making several one twos and two good support runs made space for Louise to finish emphatically, lobbing the goalkeeper expertly to put Wymondham 1-0 up, which prompted a big team celebration.
Wymondham deserved theor goal and carried on playing well and were able to see the game out 1-0 after some late Norwich pressure.
Wymondham have looked solid in defence in both pre-season games and fluid in attack, with the midfield pairing on Woody and Parry bossing the game.
Player of the match was Louise Rout. She had a fantastic game for Wymondham. High workrate, great first touch, attacking support, defensive cover and a real quality finish. Easily one of her best games in a Wymondham shirt.