You lucky boy. Derby County chief Gary Rowett admits Scott Carson rode his luck
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Derby County keeper Scott Carson was a lucky boy, insisted his manager Gary Rowett.
Carson risked conceding a penalty and a possible red card when he appeared to grapple and then produce a last-ditch tackle from behind on Josh Murphy in his own box during the first half of Derby’s 2-1 Championship win at Carrow Road.
Referee Bankes awarded a corner and Carson went on to frustrate the Canaries in the Rams’ victory.
“Having watched it again I think he has just got something on the ball,” said Rowett. “He is very fortunate there. It could have easily gone the other way, but a tackle from behind I don’t see many referees that would give a penalty for that.
“You might give a free kick in the middle of the pitch for that but in a key moment, not for me.
You may also want to watch:
“It looked like there might have been something there and I can understand Daniel (Farke’s) frustrations. You could look at that but you could also look at three or four moments in the second half when we have got the ball in their box and we created an awful lot.
“They will look at that but as an away team we are delighted. I have to say for Scott Carson it was one momentary lapse because he made two great saves. One was absolutely world class when it looked like it was over the line and the referee indicated it hadn’t via his watch.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 2 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 3 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 4 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 5 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 6 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 7 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 8 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 9 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 10 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
“I thought we had a decent shout for a penalty when it flicked up and hit their player’s hand.”