Rudd saves penalty to earn a draw
Colchester Utd Res 1, Norwich City Res 1: A late penalty save from Declan Rudd ensured a young City Reserves side came away with a point from their final Totesport.
Colchester Utd Res 1, Norwich City Res 1
A late penalty save from Declan Rudd ensured a young City Reserves side came away with a point from their final Totesport.com Combination East Division fixture of the season at Maldon.
The Canaries, who won't be playing in the league next season, with manager Paul Lambert preferring to concentrate on reserve friendlies, went behind five minutes before the break when defender Lee Beevers reacted first to prod home a corner after Rudd had made an initial save.
Ian Crook's side levelled midway through the second half when Remy Gordon's cross was met a diving header from Matt Ball.
You may also want to watch:
Theo Jones - who had been on the field less than five minutes - was sent off with 10 minutes remaining for a professional foul on Steven Gillespie, after tangling with the striker in the box. However, Rudd went the right way to keep out Gillespie's penalty. City ended the season in third place.
“The boys were absolutely brilliant against a strong side,” Crook told the club's official website. “The last few weeks have seen some of our best performances this year. To finish third is a good achievement but, as I've said all along, it's not about results.”
- 1 Could Canaries benefit from Chelsea appointing Tuchel?
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries make bid for Peterborough ace
- 3 Former Arsenal and Norwich midfielder set to sign for Saints
- 4 Paddy Davitt: City's bold call and the status quo
- 5 Arsenal end chase in City star with Real Madrid signing
- 6 'There isn't one team that stands out' - Bees' boss on promotion fight
- 7 'He came crying' - Former coach details Giannoulis left-back conversion
- 8 Boro set to sign Premier League forward ahead of Norwich trip
- 9 The story of Alex Neil and Jordan Hugill's trainers
- 10 Connor Southwell: Sorting Todd’s contract is City’s next big mission
t City Reserves: Rudd (Matthews 81), Brindley (Jones 75), Alex Stephens, Lathrope, David Kelly, Ssm Kelly (McKenzie 81), Gordon, Ball, Drmola, Dawkin, Oakley.