Rudd saves penalty to earn a draw
Colchester Utd Res 1, Norwich City Res 1: A late penalty save from Declan Rudd ensured a young City Reserves side came away with a point from their final Totesport.
Colchester Utd Res 1, Norwich City Res 1
A late penalty save from Declan Rudd ensured a young City Reserves side came away with a point from their final Totesport.com Combination East Division fixture of the season at Maldon.
The Canaries, who won't be playing in the league next season, with manager Paul Lambert preferring to concentrate on reserve friendlies, went behind five minutes before the break when defender Lee Beevers reacted first to prod home a corner after Rudd had made an initial save.
Ian Crook's side levelled midway through the second half when Remy Gordon's cross was met a diving header from Matt Ball.
You may also want to watch:
Theo Jones - who had been on the field less than five minutes - was sent off with 10 minutes remaining for a professional foul on Steven Gillespie, after tangling with the striker in the box. However, Rudd went the right way to keep out Gillespie's penalty. City ended the season in third place.
“The boys were absolutely brilliant against a strong side,” Crook told the club's official website. “The last few weeks have seen some of our best performances this year. To finish third is a good achievement but, as I've said all along, it's not about results.”
- 1 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 2 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 7 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 8 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 9 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 10 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
t City Reserves: Rudd (Matthews 81), Brindley (Jones 75), Alex Stephens, Lathrope, David Kelly, Ssm Kelly (McKenzie 81), Gordon, Ball, Drmola, Dawkin, Oakley.