Russell high on Clarets' wish list
Burnley boss Owen Coyle declined to comment last night on reports that City midfielder Darel Russell was on his summer shopping list. The 27-year-old has been linked with the Turf Moor club for the second time since the end of last season and is said to be one of three players the Clarets are chasing after completing the signing of Scunthorpe striker and one-time Norwich target Martin Paterson.
Burnley boss Owen Coyle declined to comment last night on reports that City midfielder Darel Russell was on his summer shopping list.
The 27-year-old has been linked with the Turf Moor club for the second time since the end of last season and is said to be one of three players the Clarets are chasing after completing the signing of Scunthorpe striker and one-time Norwich target Martin Paterson.
As Coyle introduced £1m capture Paterson at a Press conference - the fee could rise to £1.3m - he would not discuss any interest in Russell, though he is believed to be an admirer of the combative midfielder, now in his second spell at Carrow Road.
Russell, who returned to City last summer after four years at Stoke, finished runner-up in the player of the season poll but was left on the bench by Roeder for two of the final three games of the season, returning for the last match at Sheffield Wednesday only after on-loan Kieran Gibbs had returned to Arsenal.
You may also want to watch:
Charlton and Crystal Palace have both been linked with Russell this year but City boss Glenn Roeder, asked on Friday whether he had received any inquires for players, said only: “Not today - or yesterday. I am a great believer that a lot of things that happen in football as in transfer targets, players coming in, player going out - sometimes people just have to be more patient before they come out into the public domain. There has to be an element of secrecy when you are doing business.”
When Russell returned last year, he made it clear that part of the reason for the move was the fact that he would be closer to his London roots.
- 1 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 2 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 3 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 4 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 5 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 6 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 7 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 8 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 9 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 10 Local lad tag weighs heavy on Cantwell's shoulders
Roeder has strengthened his engine room with new signing Sammy Clingan - but is hardly over-stocked with midfield riches.
Paterson, meanwhile, departed Scunthorpe with a blast from former manager Nigel Adkins.
“I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed, first and foremost with the way Martin has conducted himself,” said Adkins. “He is a young boy with a lot of ability, but with still a heck of a lot to learn. We wanted to have him at this club to give ourselves the best opportunity of success next season. But the way it has been driven has left this club with no alternative but to accept this offer.”
The 21-year-old Northern Ireland international admitted: “I have nothing but thanks to Scunthorpe and the manager, coaching staff and fans for giving me an enjoyable year of Championship football.
“They took to me and I feel I have to apologise for the way I left, but that's modern football and if you have a chance to go and better yourself, you have to take it.”