Norwich City ‘idol’ Russell Martin signs contract extension and will continue as club captain
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have announced a contract extension for long-serving defender Russell Martin – potentially taking the 31-year-old through to a testimonial season.
The Scotland international’s contract was due to expire at the end of the coming season but his deal has been extended until 2019, with the option for a further year.
Canaries head coach Daniel Farke has also confirmed the defender will continue as club captain.
“I’m delighted to extend my contract. I think everyone knows how much this club means to me and my family, and I want to say a big thanks to the manager and (sporting director) Stuart Webber for making it happen.
“They want a bit of stability and people with experience here and hopefully that’s what I’ll carry on bringing for the next couple of years. It’s also a massive honour to be asked to continue captaining the side.
“All the lads are really embracing it and enjoying working under the new manager. You can already see what Daniel Farke and his coaching staff want us to do as a team, and I think it really suits the players we’ve got and I think the fans will enjoy it as well.
“It’s going to be different – it might take some time but it’s really exciting. I’m genuinely excited to be a part of this next adventure for Norwich City.”
- 1 'I could hear my new song' - Rashica loving life at City
- 2 Mumba on target as City youngsters thrash Wolves
- 3 City midfielder needs surgery
- 4 Smith joins Lambert, O'Neill and Howson at anniversary lunch for City owners and Foulger
- 5 PRESSER: Newcastle v City - Normann ruled out
- 6 'I would have no fears playing Lukas' - Smith on Rupp call
- 7 We meet again... Ex-City stars poised to face Canaries as Newcastle players
- 8 City trading in a different currency to Magpies
- 9 Terri Westgate: City could make those hasty predictions look very silly
- 10 Who replaces Normann? The key decisions Dean Smith faces ahead of Newcastle
Martin made 39 appearances last season to take his overall tally to 302 and move him up to 23rd in the club’s all-time appearances list, just four shy of legendary striker Iwan Roberts.
He was signed from Peterborough by Paul Lambert in November 2009, helping City win the League One title in 2010 and promotion to the Premier League in 2011, also leading the club back to the top flight via the play-offs in 2015 after relegation.
Farke, speaking to City’s website, added: “Russell is an idol here and it’s a great decision to give him this deal. He’s the skipper, and he will be my captain for this season.
“Even when there are times when he’s not playing, he’s so important for the whole squad. All of the younger guys can learn from him about how to be a professional, how to work under pressure, how to behave. He’s a smart, intelligent guy and it’s a great decision for Norwich City.”
The Canaries started a five-day training camp in Ireland today and are preparing for their first pre-season friendly, against Cobh Ramblers, on Wednesday (7.30pm kick-off).
• Watch a video released by City on Twitter of Martin’s best moments above
• For Norwich City news and views in your Facebook feed, give the Pink Un a like