Russell Martin vows that Martin Olsson’s departure to Swansea would not signal the end of Norwich City’s Championship ambitions this season
- Credit: Action Images via Reuters
Martin Olsson would leave Norwich City with his team-mates’ best wishes – but wouldn’t take the Canaries’ ambitions this season with him.
The Sweden international is on the brink of completing his Premier League return with bottom side Swansea – and more senior City departures seem likely during the current transfer window.
But captain Russell Martin remains philosophical about the situation.
“Within the group, I don’t think it will change anything,” said Martin. “If he goes, he’ll go with everyone’s best wishes.
“We are all aware where the club is at, and the finance people – Jez (Moxey), the gaffer and technical boys – they have to make decisions and they’ve made that one.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s been good for us so if he goes, we’ll all be sorry to see him leave. I think ‘Ols’ had a chance to go in the summer. At the end of the day, the club have accepted the bid and he’s got a choice to make. The club have seen it as good business so if he goes, that’s down to him.
“I think what you’re getting at is, would the lads see it as we’re not going to see anything at the end of the season if we let players like him go – but that’s not the case. We’ve got depth, we’ve got quality and I’m sure they’ve got a replacement lined up if he does go.
- 1 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 2 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 3 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 4 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 5 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 6 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 7 Transfer rumours: Everton 'step up interest' in City star
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Canaries legend thinks promotion party was fully deserved
- 10 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
“We have to make sure with the quality we’ve got, and when we add one or two this window, that we kick on and turn things around.”