Saturday focus on two divisions

Wroxham suffered a 2-0 home league defeat by the Needham Market team they knocked out of the FA Vase and had manager David Batch sent from the technical area for an alleged comment to the referee.

Wroxham suffered a 2-0 home league defeat by the Needham Market team they knocked out of the FA Vase and had manager David Batch sent from the technical area for an alleged comment to the referee.

Wroxham's display was poor. The crowd was 165, a big improvement of late, but supporters went away disappointed as the Yachtsmen again failed to make an impression on the teams above them in the league table.

Wroxham included new striker Trevor Benjamin, with over 200 Football League games behind him as a journeyman for Cambridge United, Leicester and a host of other clubs.

Wroxham fell behind when they cleared a corner only as far as Kevin Horlock whose shot from 30 yards had all the venom of a player who had missed the Vase game through suspension and nearly burst the net.

The Yachtsmen went further behind just before the break, Craig Parker converting a penalty for handball.

Dereham, having fired blanks in recent games, got back on the goal standard with an encouraging 1-1 draw at Walsham-le-Willows.

Most Read

In a repeat of the pattern of recent weeks, Dereham fell behind to Walsham's first effort on goal, Steve Holden heading home Liam Boulton's 43rd minute corner.

The Magpies equalised in the 63rd minute when defender Jay Eastoe-Smith forced home Danny Beaumont's corner. MacAnally made a fine save to keep out Beaumont's 25-yard free-kick in the 85th minute as Dereham pressed for the winner.

Another team making a return to form were fourth-place Kirkley & Pakefield with a 3-2 home win over Hadleigh.

Mildenhall, one place below them, for the second time this season drew with Felixstowe & Walton, 2-2 away.

Goals from Mildenhall second-half substitutes Aaron Turner and David Cooper looked to have handed the visitors all three points, but Allicion Blake and Scott Wark equalised.

Norwich United moved up three places to sixth bottom with a 2-0 win at Debenham LC.

Goals early in the second half from Paul Atkins and Justin Fox gave them all three points.

Despite early domination the Planters failed to create chances, then the game became end to end and both keepers had to be alert,

United looked a different prospect after the break and they took the lead just four minutes after the re-start when Lee Hunter crossed from wide on the right and Atkins allowed the ball to bounce and headed it back across Johnson and into the far top corner of the net.

Fox released Hunter down the right, and when he crossed the home defenders, concentrating on Claydon and Atkins, didn't see Fox.

He timed his run to perfection to meet Hunter's cross and sidefoot home.

The Planters, in firm control, introduced Michael Tacon for his first senior appearance. His first touch was a cross to Claydon whose shot was deflected over the bar.

Wisbech played a nap hand at home to Wivenhoe, winning 5-2.

In the First Division, Great Yarmouth returned to action with a 1-1 draw at Saffron Walden which was not enough to stop Brantham establishing a two-point lead at the top of the division.

Saffron Walden and the Bloaters fought out an entertaining encounter. Brad Green opened the scoring for Saffron Walden in the 39th minute by poaching Graeme Turner's effort which may have been heading in anyway.

Yarmouth manager Paul Tong had used two substitutes by the time the second half started and the changes paid dividends as the Bloaters pressed hard for an equaliser.

They were rewarded through a Stewart Roach header after a mistake by Walden keeper Ronnie Yates was picked up by Luke Fell . He crossed for the experienced striker to score his 14th goal of the season.

Swaffham could not do Yarmouth the favour they wanted, going down 5-0 at Brantham who now have 64 points to the Bloaters' 62, both having played 26 games.

Travelling difficulties on the A14 saw a 10-minute delay to the kick-off, with the Pedlars having little time to prepare and warm up.

Brantham applied pressure from the start and demonstrated why they are league leaders. Their first strike came in the 10th minute, a goalmouth scramble ending in an easy knock-in for Brantham. The second came just two minutes later.

The Pedlars re-grouped and fought back, with efforts by Richard Cornwall, Tom Rainford and Andrew Hunter but were dealt a further blow when key defender Stephen Thompson had to be substituted in the 40th minute with a pulled ham-string.

An early second-half Swaffham free-kick, saved by the Brantham keeper, led to a break which resulted in a Tom Rainford own goal.

Brantham broke away again. Lee Brooks saved well, pushing the ball onto the bar, but left an easy tap-in for Brantham in the 55th minute.

Swaffham played some good one touch football but Brantham hit their fifth in the 80th minute, following another fine save by Brooks.

Gorleston won 3-0 at Godmanchester. Aaron Bowers had two early shots go wide before the Greens took the lead in the fifth minute. A Steve Taylor corner was whipped in to the near post where it was met by Peter Lambert's superb header.

Gorleston kept pressing but the final ball was either missing or not good enough until the 73rd minute when Chris Sandford and Reece Hunn combined for Taylor to curl the ball home from 20 yards.

Gary Williams thumped in the Greens' third goal.

Fakenham, battling to avoid the wooden spoon, got their fourth draw in their last five matches, 1-1 at Thetford.