German ace ‘didn’t know he wouldn’t play’ at Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Ralf Fahrmann is enjoying life in England with Norwich City but didn’t expect to be behind Tim Krul in the goalkeeper pecking order.
Fahrmann joined the Canaries on a season-long loan from Schalke in the summer and, according to his agent Stefan Backs, thought he would be Daniel Farke's first choice.
City's head coach never offered any assurances Fahrmann would be his number one with Krul starting the season in superb form, restricting the 30-year-old to a League Cup appearance, which ended in defeat at Crawley.
"He likes it very much in England. Both the club and the football that is played here fascinate him," Backs told Fussball Transfers after his client had fallen behind the highly-rated Alexander Nubel last season in Gelsenkirchen.
"He did not know before that he wouldn't play, but the coach didn't give him any operational guarantee.
You may also want to watch:
"He gets along well with (Tim) Krul, Ralf is a very sociable person. Nevertheless, of course, every player wants to play.
"As of now Ralf will go back to Schalke (at the end of the season), of course, you have to wait for the development of Alexander Nübel."
MORE: Liverpool 'shock' hardened City's resolveFarke has got exactly what he wanted out of the Krul-Fahrmann dynamic so far since the German's arrival this summer.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 3 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 4 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 6 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 7 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 8 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 9 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 10 Farke's words of advice for Soto
As the man in possession from City's Championship success, Krul deserved his chance to establish himself in the Premier League and so far has been one of City's outstanding performers alongside Teemu Pukki.
Krul was excellent on the opening night at Liverpool when the Reds threatened to run up a cricket score in the first half whilst the Dutchman was responsible for keeping the scoreline respectable in the disappointing 2-0 defeat at West Ham before the international break.
Krul will also be acutely aware that if his level drops then Fahrmann has the pedigree to step in.
In the meantime Fahrmann will have to be patient in the knowledge that the season is still young and there is time for the situation to change.
However, if Krul continues to thrive then Farke and City will be the winners... and Fahrmann will have done his job.