United States boss hopes Soto will commit his international future to them
- Credit: Archant
The quest to secure Norwich City striker Sebastian Soto’s international allegiance rumbles on, with United States boss Gregg Berthalter admitting he ‘wouldn’t be happy’ if the striker elected to play for Chile.
Soto is currently out on loan at Dutch second division side SC Telstar where he has netted three goals in five matches.
The 20-year-old is the subject of interest from Chile due to the lack of strikers emerging through their youth system at present. Soto is eligible to play for them due to his father originating from the country.
Soto was raised in California and has featured for the US at Under-19, U21 and U23 levels but is yet to get capped at senior level by his country.
“He’s a player we really like, he’s been in our programme,” Berthalter said. “All we want to do is create the environment that players want to be in. We don’t like to lose players.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s no way I’d be happy about him going to play for Chile because we feel like he can be an important player for us in the future.
“It’s trying to create an environment players want to be in, it’s trying to play a way player want to play, and hoping they choose for us,” Berthalter told the Counter Attack podcast.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
- 2 FARKE: Full roll call on City's injured stars
- 3 Limited number of tickets left for fans ahead of Wednesday and Forest matches
- 4 Through troubled waters to unexpected success - Farke reflects on spell as City boss
- 5 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 6 Di Cunningham: Young talent will not be hindered under Farke and Webber's watch
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 9 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 10 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round
Sergino Dest, who recently signed for Ronald Koeman’s Barcelona ahead of City’s Max Aarons, pleaded his commitment to the United States despite being able to play for the Netherlands.
“Sergino [Dest] is another guy, he had options. He could have easily played for Holland and he decided to play for us. So we try to do the work on our end to keep these players.”
Earlier this week, the striker admitted he was conflicted over which country to play for and that a big decision awaits him.
“I have heard both countries want me but until I get something that is actually official then I don’t have a decision to make. I am just waiting,” he told Dutch regional broadcaster NH Sport. “I don’t have my Chilean passport yet. We are working on it.
“I haven’t said no to them. That is not correct. I stay in contact with the coach a lot. He is a really good guy. If I get invited to a camp, either for the men’s national team of the US or Chile then it will be time but I haven’t been invited. It is still 50, 50. “The decision process is coming. It is more a conversation to have with my family to be honest than with the coaches.”