Sharp tale takes whole new twist
DAVID CUFFLEY There could be a sting in the tail for Norwich City and fellow Championship clubs chasing striker Billy Sharp - with relegated Watford reported to have renewed their interest in the Scunthorpe hot-shot.
There could be a sting in the tail for Norwich City and fellow Championship clubs chasing striker Billy Sharp - with relegated Watford reported to have renewed their interest in the Scunthorpe hot-shot.
The Hornets' boss, Adrian Boothroyd, was said to have had a £1million bid for Sharp rejected at the beginning of the January transfer window.
But Boothroyd, hoping to lead his side back into the Premiership at the first attempt, was today reported to have revived his bid to take the 24-year-old striker to Vicarage Road.
You may also want to watch:
Watford have been one of the busiest Championship clubs so far in the close season, signing midfielder Jobi McAnuff from Crystal Palace for £1.75m, recruiting Estonian goalkeeper Mart Poom from Arsenal and snapping up 35-year-old former Norwich skipper Matt Jackson on a free transfer from Wigan.
Boothroyd, the Canaries' former Academy coach, also signed marksman Will Hoskins from Rotherham just five months ago, but is still looking to reinforce his attack.
- 1 Hot property Maddison adds up for City
- 2 Canaries not pursuing young Exeter winger linked to Celtic
- 3 WINDOW WATCH: The latest Canaries transfer news and views
- 4 Should Canaries fans be concerned about slow transfer market?
- 5 Ex-Canaries striker seals Championship move
- 6 City title winner Xavi attracting interest
- 7 'Excellent professional' - Former City winger joins League One side
- 8 'I know he gets a little bit of stick' - Scots' chief defends Hanley
- 9 'Dreams do come true' - City star buzzing for Liverpool opener
- 10 City confirm date for Liverpool Premier League opener
Watford are the sixth club to be linked with Sharp since the end of last season, along with the Canaries, Wolves, West Bromwich Albion, Preston and Sheffield Wednesday.
Wednesday dropped out of the race after they had a £1.5m bid rejected and manager Brian Laws has decided to look elsewhere for a striker.
Sharp has been told by Scunthorpe that he must sort his future out by the end of the week.
The Iron are keen to hold on to Sharp, who scored 32 goals last season to help them to the League One title, and have offered him a new contract to try to keep the player at Glanford Park.
However, Scunthorpe chairman Steve Wharton has indicated the club will not stand in the way of a move as long as the interested parties matched their £2m valuation plus a number of add-ons.
City and Wolves are believed to have matched this price and Sharp will be discussing his options over the next few days with his family.
Wolves could reunite him with old strike partner Andy Keogh if he decided to plump for Molineux. Manager McCarthy certainly has the financial muscle to offer attractive terms upon the imminent takeover from millionaire businessman Steve Morgan.
Meanwhile, Scunthorpe manager Nigel Adkins has said he is looking to sign three strikers before the start of the season - but has not yet written off hopes of convincing Sharp to stay.
“It does not mean I am looking to replace Billy Sharp,” he said. “Billy is still our player and we would love him to stay with us next season.”
For today's Carling Cup first round draw, see www.eveningnews24.co.uk