Shrewsbury appeal red card shown to Canaries loanee Godfrey during Trophy loss to Walsall
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Shrewsbury have appealed the red card shown to Norwich City loanee Ben Godfrey during their 1-0 loss to Walsall in the Checkatrade Trophy.
The midfielder was sent off in the 75th minute of a home defeat in the group stages on Tuesday but Shrews manager Paul Hurst felt the wrong decision was made.
“I’ve just seen it back in slow motion and the lad commits to a slide well before he should and therefore gets himself hurt,” Hurst told his club’s website after the game.
“Ben clearly wins the ball, the lead foot that gets the ball doesn’t make contact with him and it’s just another case of not being able to make a strong tackle in football, which annoys the hell out of me.
“I am asking my players to compete and Ben was one of the few that at least did that side of the game. It’s not a red card for me, but I’m sure even if I show it to Trevor Kettle he will tell me that it is.”
You may also want to watch:
The League One leaders have since confirmed they are appealing the straight red for serious foul play, which will activate an immediate three-game ban.
The 19-year-old has made 16 appearances for the Shrews so far this season but is due to return to Norwich in early January.
- 1 Decade of East Anglian Derby dominance for Canaries
- 2 Webber believes City will be better prepared for top flight if promotion can be secured
- 3 Casualty list at City is one for the fiction writers
- 4 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
- 5 Late McCracken penalty save ensures City U23s draw with Burnley
- 6 Former City keeper signs for Coventry ahead of Carrow Road clash
- 7 Farke's take on Krul and Pukki body blows
- 8 Main man Tettey has still got it
- 9 Get behind McGovern urges Farke
- 10 Matchday Live: City trying to extend unbeaten run to 10 games as they face Coventry
He has been sent off once before in the Trophy, when City’s U23s were knocked out of the competition in the first knockout round last season, in a 1-0 loss to Swansea U23s at Carrow Road.
• Footage of the challenge is included in the highlights above, do you think the red card was correct? Cast your vote in our poll, also above