Simpson strike sends happy Wanderers to the summit
Milton Lindsay A goal from Dale Simpson 10 minutes from time sent Poringland Wanderers to the top of the Norwich Sunday League Premier Division. In a game of few clear-cut chances against AFC Wanderers, Simpson's strike was enough to send Poringland top as previous leaders Wymondham Rangers were beaten 2-0 at home to The Grove.
There was still a good-sized Norwich Sunday League programme despite concerns over the extremely hard surfaces which led to weekend matches on Norwich City Council pitches being cancelled.
Reigning Premier Division champions Marlborough suffered their second defeat on the trot as they went down 3-1 at The Grove. Sam Mallet scored for the hosts, before Marlborough levelled from the spot, but well-taken goals by Lloyd and Lewis Greening earned the points for the home side. Newcomers Wymondham Rangers went to the top of the table after a 2-1 win at Salhouse.
Norwich Ceyms took over at the top of 1A after a 6-2 win at home to Unthank Arms. Previous leaders Norwich Busmen went down 1-0 at Hellesdon Athletic whilst Norman Wanderers Res moved up to third with a 4-1 win over Rose Valley Utd. Windmill Wanderers travelled to Aylsham Black Boys and came back with a 6-3 victory.
You may also want to watch:
Unicorns returned to the top of 1B after a narrow 1-0 win at Haig FC, and Norfolk CCSC also gained three points thanks to a Chris Hoy hat-trick when beating Aylsham Sunday 3-2.
Costessey Sports scored three without reply against Prince of Denmark, whilst Manor Park came away from Mattishall YCOB with a 3-2 win. In 2A, The Griffen had a good 5-3 win at Green Man, whilst a goal by Jatinder Dhaliwal earned Vale Longo a point at Norman Wanderers A. Deopham went down 2-0 at home to Coachmakers Arms and Reepham had a good 2-1 win at Spixworth Utd.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 2 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 4 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 6 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 7 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 8 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 9 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
- 10 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
Acle Wanderers were disappointed at not being able to turn their possession into goals as they went down 1-0 at home to Castlegate.
Despite losing 5-0, PL Rangers were full of praise for the organisation and performance of their opponents Old Catton.
They lead division 2B by two points from Ribs of Beef for whom the outstanding Michael Robinson scored twice in a 4-2 win at Poringland Res. Oliver Bennison and Richard Metcalf also scored.
Acle Rangers Res beat Sprowston Rovers 2-0, whilst Leo Dudley and Mark Tracey scored for The Gordon as they drew 2-2 against St Faiths.
Dereham Wanderers and Upton are still neck and neck at the top of 3A.