Sky Blues sink City youngsters
Coventry City U18 3, Norwich City U18 1: With four players away on international duty David Williams was down to the bare bones as City's Academy side travelled to Coventry today.
Coventry City U18 3, Norwich City U18 1
WITH four players away on international duty David Williams was down to the bare bones as City's Academy side travelled to Coventry today.
Williams drafted Michael Spillane into the starting line-up with the Republic of Ireland U18 captain playing in an attacking role. In the event however the Canaries went down 3-1 with all the goals coming from the first period.
The Canaries could not have made a worse start going a goal down after just 40 seconds when a through ball from Lourougnon split the City defence allowing WEST to fire the ball past Steve Arnold into the far corner.
You may also want to watch:
Struggling off the early set back City got into their stride pushing the Sky Blues back with Spillane sending a header just over the crossbar from a Bally Smart corner. But on 24 minutes and from yet another Smart corner City found themselves back on level terms when ROBERT REVELL rose above the Canaries defence to head home.
The home side however took just two minutes to restore their lead when there was a misunderstanding from the City defence although it has to be said that LOUROUGNON was clearly in an offside position when he tapped the ball in from close range.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 5 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 6 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 7 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 8 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
City barely had time to recover when on 28 minutes Coventry found the net yet again when WEST sent a low drive under Arnold.
City might have pulled a goal back shortly before the interval when Patrick Bexfield set the ball up nicely for Ross Kelly only for the City midfielder to drive his shot just wide of the target.
After a disastrous start to the first half it was almost déjà vu at the start of the second when Arnold gave away a penalty after just 60 seconds. The City keeper redeemed himself however making a fine save to deny Lourougnon.
Arnold again came to City's rescue. He made a brave block just moments later but needed lengthy treatment from physio Rod Dyer before he could continue.
Coventry had more of the possession in the second half but it was City who came closest to scoring with Coventry keeper Collett denying Spillane late in the game and Smart seeing a good effort blocked.
t Norwich City: Arnold, Miller, O'Toole, Revell (Lathrope 60 mins), Quaye, Bexfield, Eames (Muddel 70 mins), Kelly, Daley, Spillane, Smart.
t Coventry City: Collett, Robinson, Duggan, Hildreth, Francis, Grandison, Cain (Marshall 62 mins), Richie (Fitzharris 89 mins), West, Lourougnon (Jones 48 mins), Burtoft. Subs not used: Beaford, Burgess.
t Norwich City Man of the Match: Patrick Bexfield