‘Difficult to watch’ - Social media responds with frustration to City’s 1-0 defeat to Chelsea
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City’s defeat to Chelsea saw them set two unwanted records - with their eighth straight defeat in the league a club record alongside the loss confirming their lowest ever points tally in a league campaign.
Olivier Giroud profited from some poor marking from Timm Klose to score the only goal as Frank Lampard’s men continued their charge towards Champions League football next season.
City failed to record a single shot on target at Stamford Bridge as Daniel Farke sought more defensive solidity following his side’s 4-0 defeat to West Ham United on Saturday.
Tuesday’s defeat means City can now finish no higher than 20th - with two games against Burnley and Manchester City left to play in the league.
Tim Krul pulled off a number of impressive saves to prevent the scoreline from being worse, including a fine stop from Christian Pulisic as he tipped his volley on the bar in the first half.
You may also want to watch:
Once again, City have been left to rue individual mistakes, with Klose failing to deal with Giroud’s physicality and Todd Cantwell unable to prevent the cross into the box initially.
- Read the thoughts of Norwich City supporters, ex-players and pundits above and below
- 1 Ex-City star Murphy boosts hopes of new deal
- 2 Former City loanee set for new deal at Borussia Dortmund
- 3 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 4 'I don't want the season to end' - City ace hitting top form
- 5 City defender likened to a 'young Rio Ferdinand'
- 6 Six things you might have missed after City's win at Derby
- 7 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 8 City Q&A: One down. One to go
- 9 Chris Goreham: No-one should question just how good City have been
- 10 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries