Spixworth cause Cup upset

Spixworth United 2, King's Lynn Reserves 0: Spixworth stormed into the quarter finals of the Norfolk Senior Cup on Saturday with an impressive home victory over Ridgeons League Kings Lynn Reserves.

Spixworth United 2, Kings Lynn Reserves 0

Spixworth stormed into the quarter finals of the Norfolk Senior Cup on Saturday with an impressive home victory over Ridgeons League Kings Lynn Reserves. Following several below par performances of late, Saturday's result was achieved with a welcome return to form. Having no fixture the previous Saturday was probably of benefit to Spixworth in the build up to this tie, giving squad members carrying niggling injuries more time to recuperate. Keeper Ross Bilham and skipper Mark Pitcher both returned to action, the latter partnering Damian Didwell in attack allowing Ryan Smith and Ben Bridges to continue their central midfield partnership.

Showing no ill effect from their enforced lay off, Spixworth made all the early running with some excellent passing and movement putting Lynn on the back foot. Early domination was rewarded after fifteen minutes when from a corner Ben Gowing seized upon hesitancy within the Lynn defence to score from close range. Home supporters voiced their appreciation, something they would be doing again five minutes later when Damian Didwell made it two nil with a fierce drive from fifteen yards. This second goal was a joy to witness, breaking up a Lynn attack quick link up play released Lee Askew from inside Spixworths half, Lee raced goalward leaving defenders trailing before laying on the opportunity for Damian to score. Two goals to the good midway through the half was no more than Spixworth deserved. They remained in control for the remainder of the half much to the delight of the sizeable attendance of home supporters, who, as the club becomes established, are increasing in numbers each game!

As one would expect Kings Lynn (the Senior Cup holders), opened the second half with greater determination and enjoyed a very good fifteen minute period during which Ross Bilham was called upon to make his first important save of the tie. Spixworth displayed their defensive qualities during this spell with composure both collectively and individually. As the half progressed play evened out and despite Lynn introducing extra strikers Spixworth were able to absorb their attacks and then threaten with several dangerous counter attacks of their own.

With fifteen minutes remaining Ryan Smith, who had been on the receiving end of several hefty challenges throughout the afternoon, limped off to be replaced by new signing Stuart Broughton. Stuart showed enough to suggest he will be a useful addition to our squad. Not surprisingly, having not played for a fortnight, quite a few team members tired during the final ten minutes. However, they all showed enough determination to ensure there would not be an anxious finish to proceedings, therefore ensuring a splendid victory.

An excellent result for Spixworth and with it a very good team performance. We must now ensure our league form benefits from this victory as we now face two of the leading clubs in successive home games. The Senior Cup quarter final draw will be eagerly awaited, another Ridgeons side at home would do nicely!