Spixworth United 0 St. Andrews 1A very disappointing result on Tuesday evening for Spixworth, losing 1-0 at home to St Andrews in their penultimate league game of the season.
Spixworth United 0 St. Andrews 1
A very disappointing result on Tuesday evening for Spixworth, losing 1-0 at home to St Andrews in their penultimate league game of the season.
Following a run of three successive victories hopes were high good form would continue as a win would have seen Spixworth leap frog two teams immediately above them and move to ninth position. Whether it was a combination of shorter preparation because of work commitments or a difficult playing surface this was very much end of season fare from both teams and for Spixworth it was arguably their worst performance of the season.
As with the previous Tuesday, another sizeable crowd assembled despite their being nothing at stake for either side. Little was seen of Spixworth as an attacking force throughout the first half. Too much use of long ball tactics made for scrappy play. An Andy Hayton header, a shot from Stu Brunton and a Ben Gowing direct free kick were Spixworths only chances of note.
You may also want to watch:
Hopes the second half would bring an improvement were short lived. Spixworth opened showing more determination but with some players clearly out of sorts and some trying too hard without achieving anything, play soon followed the first half pattern. Substitutes Mark Pitcher and Stephen Davis were introduced to try and lift proceedings for the home side but to no avail. Long before the end a goalless draw appeared inevitable but with two minutes remaining and 'out of the blue', St. Andrews scored the only goal of the game to claim the points.
Five bookings and a sending off would suggest a bruising encounter, but this game was anything but! Disappointment then for Spixworth who, fortunately, still retain the opportunity to improve their league position on Saturday at home to Mattishall, the final game of our season.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 4 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 8 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 9 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 10 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement